|Is||Sociologist Professor Educator Mathematician Statistician|
|Field||Academia Mathematics Social science|
|Birth||10 December 1956, Rome, Italy|
Wolfgang Lutz (born December 10, 1956) is an Austrian demographer specializing in demographic analysis and population projection. He founded the Wittgenstein Centre for Demography and Global Human Capital in 2010 - a collaboration between IIASA (International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis), the Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, and the WU-Vienna University of Economics and Business. In October 1985 he joined IIASA to lead the World Population Program. He has been director of VID since 2002 as well as a Full Professor of Applied Statistics (part-time) at Vienna University since 2008. He also holds the position of Professorial Research Fellow at the Oxford Martin School for 21st Century Studies.
Lutz holds a Ph.D. in Demography from the University of Pennsylvania (1983) and a second doctorate in Statistics from the University of Vienna.
Lutz has worked on family demography, fertility analysis, and population projection as well as the interaction between population and the environment. He has authored a series of world population projections produced at IIASA and developed approaches for projecting education and human capital. Lutz is also the principal investigator of the Asian MetaCentre for Population and Sustainable Development Analysis and a professorial affiliate research fellow at the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing. Lutz is author and editor of 28 books and more than 200 refereed articles, including seven in Science and Nature. In 2008, 2012 and again in 2016, he received an ERC Advanced Grant, in 2009 the Mattei Dogan Award of the IUSSP, in 2010 the Wittgenstein Award, (often referred to as "Austria's Nobel Prize") and in 2016 the Mindel C. Sheps Award of the Population Association of America. In 2016 he was elected as a foreign associate of the National Academy of Sciences.
On the occasion of Lutz's 60th birthday, the Wittgenstein Centre organized a festschrift-type conference on Variations on the [research] Themes of Wolfgang Lutz.
- Lutz, Wolfgang, ed. (1994). Population-Development-Environment. Understanding Their Interactions in Mauritius. Heidelberg: Springer Press.
- Lutz, Wolfgang, ed. (1996). The Future Population of the World. What Can We Assume Today?. London: Earthscan.
- Lutz, W.; Sanderson, S.; Scherbov, S. (1997). "Doubling of world population unlikely". Nature. 387 (6635): 803–805. Bibcode:1997Natur.387..803L. doi:10.1038/42935. PMID 9194559.
- O'Neill, B. J.; MacKellar, F. L.; Lutz, W. (2001). Population and Climate Change. Cambridge University.
- Lutz, W.; Sanderson, S.; Scherbov, S. (2001). "The end of world population growth" (PDF). Nature. 412 (6846): 543–545. Bibcode:2001Natur.412..543L. doi:10.1038/35087589. PMID 11484054.
- Lutz, W.; O'Neill, B. C.; Scherbov, S. (2003). "Europe's population at a turning point" (PDF). Science. 299 (5615): 1991–1992. doi:10.1126/science.1080316. PMID 12663901.
- Lutz, Wolfgang; Sanderson, Warren; Scherbov, Sergei, eds. (2004). The End of World Population Growth in the 21st Century: New Challenges for Human Capital Formation and Sustainable Development. London: Earthscan.
- Lutz, W.; Kritzinger, S.; Skirbekk, V. (2006). "The demography of growing European identity". Science. 314 (5798): 425. doi:10.1126/science.1128313. PMID 17053133.
- Lutz, W.; Scherbov, S. (2008). "The coming acceleration of global population ageing". Nature. 451 (7179): 716–719. Bibcode:2008Natur.451..716L. doi:10.1038/nature06516. PMID 18204438.
- Lutz, W.; Cuaresma, C.; Sanderson, W. (2008). "The demography of educational attainment and economic growth". Science. 319 (5866): 1047–1048. doi:10.1126/science.1151753. PMID 18292326.
- Lutz, W. (2009). "Sola schola et sanitate: Human capital as the root cause and priority for international development?". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 364 (1532): 3031–3047. doi:10.1098/rstb.2009.0156. PMC 2781833. PMID 19770154.
- Lutz, W.; KC, S. (2010). "Dimensions of global population projections: What do we know about future population trends and structures?". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 365 (1554): 2779–2791. doi:10.1098/rstb.2010.0133. PMC 2935115. PMID 20713384.
- Lutz, W.; Cuaresma, C.; Abbasi-Shavazi, M. J. (2010). "Demography, education, and democracy: Global trends and the case of Iran" (PDF). Population and Development Review. 36 (2): 253–281. doi:10.1111/j.1728-4457.2010.00329.x. PMID 20734552.
- Lutz, W.; KC, S. (2011). "Global human capital: Integration education and population". Science. 333 (6042): 587–592. Bibcode:2011Sci...333..587L. doi:10.1126/science.1206964. PMID 21798940.
- Scherbov, S.; Lutz, W.; Sanderson, W. C. (2011). "The uncertain timing of reaching 8 billion, peak world population, and other demographic milestones". Population and Development Review. 37 (3): 571–578. doi:10.1111/j.1728-4457.2011.00435.x. PMID 22167816.
- Pamuk, E. R.; Fuchs, R.; Lutz, W. (2011). "Comparing relative effects of education and economic resources on infant mortality in developing countries". Population and Development Review. 37 (4): 637–664. doi:10.1111/j.1728-4457.2011.00451.x. PMID 22319768.
- Lutz, W. (2013). "Demographic metabolism: A predictive theory of socioeconomic change". Population and Development Review. 38: 283–301. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.278.4036. doi:10.1111/j.1728-4457.2013.00564.x.
- Lutz, W.; Muttarak, R.; Striessnig, W. (2014). "Universal education is key to enhanced climate adaptation". Science. 346 (6213): 1061–1062. Bibcode:2014Sci...346.1061L. doi:10.1126/science.1257975. PMID 25430758.