Quantcast
peoplepill id: william-menz
WM
1 views today
1 views this week
William Menz

William Menz Biscuit, confectionery manufacturer

Biscuit, confectionery manufacturer
The basics
Quick Facts
Intro Biscuit, confectionery manufacturer
Is Businessperson
From Australia
Type Business
Gender male
Birth Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
The details
Biography

William Menz (10 November 1849 – 26 March 1898) was founder of the South Australian biscuit and confectionery business W. Menz & Co..

History

Menz was born in Wakefield Street, Adelaide, the son of John Menz (16 December 1818 - 10 April 1860), and was educated at the German School conducted by Adolph Heinrich Leschen and Theodor H. Niehuus (also on Wakefield Street), then at W. A. Cawthorne's Victoria Square Academy. He began working for grocers G. Wood & Son, then around 1865 took over the grocery business in Wakefield Street, which had been established by his mother Magdalena Menz (1 January 1819 - 12 October 1895) in 1850. The business prospered, and in 1878 his brother August Hermann Menz (12 March 1855 – 3 December 1922) joined the firm. On the death of William, August Hermann took over the firm until 1919, when a limited liability company was formed, with him as managing director. He married Wilhelmine H. A "Minna" Menz (15 November 1865 – 18 June 1951) on 9 May 1889; they had two sons, Hermann Victor (1890 - 1984) and William Oscar (1896 - 1991), and a daughter, Anna Magdalena (1891 - 1955) and lived at Beulah Road, Norwood.

Hermann Victor Menz became managing director in 1922. He was captain of the Adelaide Rowing Club.

Timeline W. Menz & Co.

  • Magdalena Menz's grocery store opened on Wakefield street.
  • Began bread making
  • November 1878: New premises and dwelling erected at corner of Divett St. and Wakefield street
  • 1880 or 1884 began making biscuits
  • 1892 began making confectionery
  • Fire July 1895 (directly opposite the Fire Brigade headquarters)
  • 1906 Albany Murray, son of Alex Murray jun., running the biscuit-making factory.
  • September 1913 New building completed on the original site
  • June 1920 Building extended to Roper Street.
  • 1951 W. Menz & Co. floated as public company.
  • December 1953: New biscuit plant opened at Galway Avenue, Richmond.
  • 1964 Menz joined with Motteram and Arnott's Biscuits to form Arnott-Motteram-Menz; later simply Arnott's.
  • 1992 US company Campbell Soup Company took over Arnotts Biscuits
  • 1992 Robern purchased Menz Confectionery, became Robern Menz

The contents of this page are sourced from Wikipedia article. The contents are available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
comments so far.
Comments
arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up arrow-down instagram whatsapp myspace quora soundcloud spotify tumblr vk website youtube stumbleupon comments comments pandora gplay iheart tunein pandora gplay iheart tunein itunes