Quantcast
About William H. Hume: American architect | Biography, Facts, Career, Life
peoplepill id: william-h-hume
WHH
1 views today
1 views this week
William H. Hume
American architect

William H. Hume

William H. Hume
The basics

Quick Facts

Intro American architect
Is Architect
From United States of America
Field Engineering
Gender male
William H. Hume
The details (from wikipedia)

Biography

William H. Hume was an American architect in New York City. His work included the Hebrew Orphan Asylum of New York (1884) on Amsterdam Avenue (used as an Army Hall in 1943 and then by City College, the site is now the Jacob H. Schiff Playground), Langdon Building at 305 Broadway, Scotch Presbyterian Church on 96th Church and Central Park West (during the booming 1920s it was replaced by a "Skyscraper Church" designed by Rosario Candela, constructed in 1928–29 it included a 16-story apartment tower and a new church sanctuary and classroom space set into the base and fronting West 96th Street) New Netherland Hotel (1892), replaced by the Sherry Netherland Hotel in 1927, Mutual Reserve Building at 305 Broadway and an addition at 615–629 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) between West 18th and 19th Streets in the Flatiron District of Manhattan, New York City. Originally the B. Altman Dry Goods Store, built 1876–77 (David & John Jardine), with addition on the south in 1887 by William H. Hume, and on West 18th Street by Buchman & Fox, 1909. B. Altman moved to Fifth Avenue and 34th Street in 1906. The current street retail occupant is The Container Store. Margot Gayle, writing in Cast-Iron Architecture in New York: a Photographic Survey (1974), says of 83–87 Grand St., "Architect William H. Hume did it in 1883 as a silk showroom and warehouse – an addition to that section of the building ... which had been erected 10 years earlier. Perhaps it was part of an original grand plan, for the architect had the iron elements for this big addition cast in exactly the same design as for the first building, resulting in a unified whole. The older part of the building carries the date 1872 in its galvanized iron cornice, and displays the foundry label of Lindsay, Graff & Megquier." He is also credited with 83–87 Grand St., SW corner of Greene St. (1872) a "serene Tuscan over elaborate Corinithian". William H. Hume & Son designed the Spingler Building (1896) at 5–9 Union Square West. It is located on the west side of Union Square between the Lincoln Building (Union Square West, Manhattan) and what once was the Tiffany’s cast iron building headquarters. It was built be William H. Hume & Son who were appointed by the firm of James L. Libby & Son, "who designed it as a commercial building". Other work included the Simpson Crawford Simpson Store (1900) and plans for the Masonic Home and School in Utica, New York.

The contents of this page are sourced from Wikipedia article. The contents are available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
comments so far.
Comments
From our partners
Sponsored
arrow-left arrow-right instagram whatsapp myspace quora soundcloud spotify tumblr vk website youtube pandora tunein iheart itunes