William Frederick, Prince of Wied (German: Wilhelm Friedrich Hermann Otto Karl Fürst von Wied; 27 June 1872 – 18 June 1945) was a German nobleman, eldest child of William, Prince of Wied. He was an elder brother of William, Prince of Albania.
William Frederick was born at Neuwied, Kingdom of Prussia, the first child of William, Prince of Wied (1845–1907), (son of Hermann, Prince of Wied and Princess Marie of Nassau) and his wife, Princess Marie of the Netherlands (1841–1910), (daughter of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands and his wife Princess Louise of Prussia). Through his father he was descendant of George II of Great Britain. His great-grandparents were, William I of the Netherlands and Frederick William III of Prussia. He was nephew of Queen Elisabeth of Romania.
William Frederick married on 29 October 1898 in Stuttgart, Princess Pauline of Württemberg (1877–1965), only daughter of King William II of Württemberg and his first wife, Princess Marie of Waldeck and Pyrmont, daughter of George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont. The couple had two children:
- Hermann, Hereditary Prince of Wied (18 August 1899 – 5 November 1941); married Countess Marie Antonia of Stolberg-Wernigerode and had issue, including Frederick William, Prince of Wied.
- Prince Dietrich of Wied (30 October 1901 – 8 June 1976); married Countess Antoinette Julia Grote and had issue.
- C. Arnold McNaughton, The Book of Kings: A Royal Genealogy, in 3 volumes (London, U.K.: Garnstone Press, 1973), volume 1, page 226. Hereinafter cited as The Book of Kings
Prince of Wied
William Frederick, inherited the title of Prince of Wied after the death of his father in 1907. After the German Revolution in 1919 all nobility titles were abolished. He became the titular Prince, or Furst, until his death in 1945, the title was inherited by his 14-year-old grandson Frederick William (1931–2000), his son Hermann died of wounds received in action during World War II in Rzeszów, Poland.
Titles and styles
- 27 June 1872 – 22 October 1907: His Serene Highness The Hereditary Prince of Wied
- 22 October 1907 – 18 June 1945: His Serene Highness The Prince of Wied
|Ancestors of William Frederick, Prince of Wied|