Wilhelm, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (German: Wilhelm Chlodwig Friedrich Ernst Hermann Paul Philipp Heinrich Landgraf von Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld; born 14 August 1933) is the Landgrave and current head of one of the two remaining branches of the House of Hesse, that of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, a noble title dating to the late Holy Roman Empire.
Early life and family
Wilhelm was born at Herleshausen, Hesse-Nassau, Germany, eldest child of Prince Wilhelm of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (1905–1942), (son of Chlodwig, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld and Princess Caroline of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich) and his wife, Princess Marianne of Prussia (1913–1983), (daughter of Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia and Princess Agatha of Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst). Through his mother he is descended from King Frederick William III of Prussia and King William I of the Netherlands.
Wilhelm descends from the House of Hesse branch of Hesse-Philippsthal, which was created from the branch of Hesse-Kassel at the death of William VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel in 1663, when his younger son Philip was created Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal. At the death of Landgrave Philip, the branch of Hesse-Philippsthal was again divided, his younger son William becoming the Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld. These two landgraviates were annexed by Prussia in 1866. The main branch (Hesse-Philippsthal) became extinct in the male line in 1925, thus making the Barchfeld branch the only surviving one of the Hesse-Philippsthal line.
Wilhelm was married on 5 August 1961 at Friedrichshausen, Frankenberg, Hesse, to Oda-Mathilde von Garmissen (born 1935), daughter of Hilmar von Garmissen and his wife Baroness Oda von Houwald.
They had two sons:
- Prince Wilhelm of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (b. 1 January 1963), married in 2002 to Susanne von Kaufmann, had issue.
- Prince Otto of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (b. 19 January 1965), married in 1998 to Clara Blickhauser, had issue.
|Ancestors of Wilhelm, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld|
- Gilbert I, Count of the Maasgau, d. 842
- Gilbert II, Count of the Maasgau, 825–875
- Reginar, Duke of Lorraine, 850–915
- Reginar II, Count of Hainaut, 890–932
- Reginar III, Count of Hainaut, 920–973
- Lambert I, Count of Leuven, 950–1015
- Lambert II, Count of Leuven, d. 1054
- Henry II, Count of Leuven, 1020–1078
- Godfrey I, Count of Leuven, 1060–1139
- Godfrey II, Count of Leuven, 1110–1142
- Godfrey III, Count of Leuven, 1140–1190
- Henry I, Duke of Brabant, 1165–1235
- Henry II, Duke of Brabant, 1207–1248
- Henry I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1244–1308
- Otto I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1272–1328
- Louis the Junker of Hesse, 1305–1345
- Hermann II, Landgrave of Hesse, 1341–1413
- Louis I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1402–1458
- Louis II, Landgrave of Hesse, 1438–1471
- William II, Landgrave of Hesse, 1469–1509
- Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1504–1567
- William IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1532–1592
- Maurice, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1572–1632
- William V, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1602–1637
- William VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1629–1663
- Philip, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal, 1655–1721
- William, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, 1692–1761
- Landgrave Adolf of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, 1743–1803
- Landgrave Karl of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, 1784–1854
- Prince Wilhelm of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, 1831–1890
- Chlodwig, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, 1876–1954
- Prince Wilhelm of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, 1905–1942
- Wilhelm, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, b. 1933
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Wilhelm, Prince & Landgraf von Hessen
- thePeerage.com - Wilhelm Landgraf von Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: 299
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser, Reference: 1971 408