Washington Z. SyCip, PLH BOLk RNO1kl (born June 30, 1921) is a Filipino accountant. He is the founder of the Asian Institute of Management and the accounting firm SGV & Company.
His father, Albino SyCip, was known as the "Dean of Philippine Banking". He was one of the first ethnic Chinese to be admitted into what is now the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.
A product of the Philippine public school system, SyCip holds BS and MS degrees from the University of Santo Tomas.
SyCip was in the United States completing a post-graduate degree as the Second World War broke out. His father, who was in the City of Manila during the Japanese invasion, was detained by the occupying forces. After hearing reports that the Japanese had executed his father, SyCip joined the war effort, recruited into a "special codebreaking" class and later deployed to British India as a codebreaker.
After the war, SyCip started his own practice of accountancy. He eventually partnered with Alfredo Velayo and Ramón J. Gorres to form what is now known as SGV & Co.
SyCip had also obtained a Master of Science in Commerce from Columbia Business School.
His full life story is encrypted in "Wash: Only A Bookkeeper, A Biography of Washington Z. SyCip" by Jose Y. Dalisay Jr. who garnered a literary award, the NBDB National Book Award for Non-Fiction Prose (2010).
- BDO Unibank, Inc, (PSE: BDO), Adviser to the Board
- Belle Corporation (PSE: BEL), Independent Director
- Cityland Development Corporation (PSE: CDC), Chairman of Board, Independent Director
- First Philippine Holdings Corporation (PSE: FPH), Independent Director
- Highlands Prime, Inc., Independent Director
- Lopez Holdings Corporation (PSE: LPZ), Independent Director
- MacroAsia Corporation (PSE: MAC), Chairman
- Metro Pacific Investments Corporation (PSE: MPI), Independent Director
- Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company (PSE: MBT), Adviser to the Board
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PSE: TEL), Adviser to the Board
- Philippine National Bank (PSE: PNB), Director
- Philequity Management, Inc. , Director
- Doctor of Philosophy, honoris causa degree from the De La Salle University (1977)
- Doctor of Accounting Education, honoris causa degree from the University of Santo Tomas (1984)
- Officer First Class of the Order of the Polar Star (1987)
- Philippine Legion of Honor, Degree of Commander (1991)
- Doctor of Laws, honoris causa degree from the University of the Philippines Diliman (2001)
- Order of Lakandula, Rank of Grand Cross (Bayani) (2011)
- Ramon V. del Rosario Award for Nation Building (2012)
- Doctor of Laws, honoris causa degree from the Ateneo de Manila University (2012)
- Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa degree from the Angeles University Foundation (2012)
- Washington Sycip Park in Makati, Metro Manila, was named in his honour on his 85th birthday.