Vasilis Gregoriou (born 1965, Trikala, Greece) is a researcher, inventor, technology entrepreneur and currently the Director and Chairman of the Board of Directors at National Hellenic Research Foundation (NHRF) in Athens, Greece. During his career, he has achieved international recognition by serving in research and administrative positions both in Greece and the USA. His studies in Greece began at the University of Patras (BSc. Chemistry) while his studies in the USA took place at Duke University where he received a PhD degree in Physical Chemistry. He was also a NRSA award recipient at Princeton University, USA.
Research career & managerial roles
His academic teaching experience spans in both undergraduate level at the University of Massachusetts and postgraduate level at the University of Connecticut and the University of Patras. His published work as co-author includes three books, six chapters in other authors' books, 92 scientific papers and 146 research presentations. Vasilis Gregoriou is also co-inventor of 15 patents. His research activities extend over a wide range of subjects including flexible photovoltaic cells based on organic semiconductors, optically active materials based on conjugated oligomers, and nanostructured polymer materials. Prior subjects have focused on the characterization of polymeric liquid crystals, the orientation characteristics of ionic polymeric polymers, on standard self-assembled monolayers, and on chemometrics. He has served as President of Society for Applied Spectroscopy (SAS) in 2001 and now he participates as National Representative of Greece in the Committee of the European Research Council (ERC) for the Horizon 2020 program, the Mari Sklodowska-Curie actions and the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET). Vasilis Gregoriou has been the Director of the National Hellenic Research Foundation since 2013. As a technology entrepreneur, Vasilis Gregoriou is the co-founder and the CEO of Advent Technologies which is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Advent Technologies develops advanced technology and devices in the field of energy and defense and it has also developed research collaborations with Northeastern University in Boston, USA, Patras University in Greece, and the Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences (ICE-HT/FORTH). Advent Technologies has its own production facilities in Patras and has created a supply chain based on toll manufacturing at world-class in the US and Europe as well as in-house assembly (Greece).
Awards and Achievements
- National Representative for Greece in Horizon 2020 Committee in the European Union for the European Research Council (ERC), the Mari Sklodowska-Curie actions, and the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) Brussels, Belgium (2014–present)
- National Deputy Representative for Greece and Specialist for Nanotechnology in the European Union, Brussels (2007-2010)
- President, Society for Applied Spectroscopy (SAS), 2001.
- Board of Governors, Eastern Analytical Symposium (EAS), 1998 - .
- President, New England Section, Society for Applied Spectroscopy (1997 –1998).
- National Research Service Award (NRSA) recipient, NIH postdoctoral fellowship,Princeton University, 1994.
- Tomas Hirschfeld Award, Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies (FACSS), 1992.
- Coblentz Society Student Award, 1992.
- Paul M. Gross Fellowship, Duke University, 1992.
- Research Council Award recipient, Duke University, 1991 and 1992.
- Technical Development Division Program Award recipient, Burroughs Wellcome Co., Greenville, NC, 1989.
- “Vibrational Spectroscopy of Biomolecules and Polymers” V.G. Gregoriou and M. Braiman, Editors, Taylor & Francis Co, New York, NY, (2006). ISBN 1574445391
- “Polymer Spectroscopy” V.G. Gregoriou Editor, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany (2004). ISBN 352731038X
- “Modern Infrared Spectroscopy: Principles and Applications” A.A. Christy, Y. Ozaki, and V.G. Gregoriou, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (2001).
Selected peer-review publications
- “Highly Efficient Indoor Organic Solar Cells by Voltage Loss Minimization through Fine-Tuning of Polymer Structures” R. Singh, C.L. Chochos, V.G. Gregoriou, A.D. Nega, M. Kim, M. Kumar, S-C. Shin, S.H. Kim, J.W. Shim, J-J. Lee ACS applied materials & interfaces 11 36095, (2019).
- “New N-Type Solution Processable All Conjugated Polymer Network. Synthesis, Optoelectronic Characterization and Application in Organic Solar Cells” H. Bildirir, D. Di Carlo Rasi, M.M. Wienk, R.A.J. Janssen, A. Avgeropoulos, V.G. Gregoriou, S. Allard, U. Scherf, C.L. Chochos Macromol. Rapid Commun. 39 1700629, (2018).
- “Highly Efficient Solid-State Near-infrared Organic Light-Emitting Diodes incorporating A-D-A Dyes based on α,β-unsubstituted "BODIPY" Moieties” A. Zampetti, A. Minotto, B.M. Squeo, V.G. Gregoriou, S. Allard, U. Scherf, C.L. Chochos, F. Cacialli Scientific Reports 7 1611 (2017).
- "Unveiling the appropriate polymer backbone enlargement approach to enhance the power conversion efficiency in organic photovoltaics" C.L. Chochos, R. Singh, M. Kim, N. Gasparini, A. Katsouras, C. Kulshreshtha, V.G. Gregoriou, P.E. Keivanidis, T. Ameri, C.J. Brabec, K. Cho, A. Avgeropoulos Adv. Funct. Mater 26 1840, (2016).
- “Ultra Low Band Gap α,β-unsubstituted BODIPY-based Copolymer Synthesized by Palladium Catalyzed Cross-Coupling Polymerization for Near Infrared Organic Photovoltaics” B.M. Squeo, N. Gasparini, T. Ameri, A. Palma-Cando, S. Allard, V.G. Gregoriou, C.J. Brabec, U. Scherfc., C.L. Chochos Journal of Materials Chemistry A A3 16279 (2015).
- "The Role of Ethynylene Bond on the Optical and Electronic Properties of Diketopyrrolopyrrole Copolymers" P. Pattanasattayavong, M. Sygletou, E. Kymakis, E. Stratakis, F. Yan, V. G. Gregoriou, T. D. Anthopoulos, C. L. Chochos, RSC Advances 4 58404, (2014).
- “Influence of the Electron Deficient Co-monomer on the Optoelectronic Properties and Photovoltaic Performance of Dithienogermole-based Co-polymers” C.P. Yau, Z. Fei, R.S. Ashraf, M. Shahid, S.E.Watkins, P. Pattanasattayavong, T.D. Anthopoulos, V.G. Gregoriou, C.L. Chochos, M. Heeney Adv. Funct. Mater., 3, 10221 (2014).
- “Sulfonated Aromatic Polyethers Containing Pyridine Units as Electrolytes for High Temperature Fuel Cells” I. Kalamaras, M.K. Daletou, V.G. Gregoriou, J.K. Kallitsis Fuel Cells 11 921 (2011).
- “Uniaxially stretched PET/PET-MWNT nanocomposites: Effect of the MWNTs on the chain conformations of PET” S. Tzavalas and V.G. Gregoriou Vibr. Spectr. 46 135 (2008).
- “Synthesis of a Soluble n-Type Cyano Substituted Polythiophene Derivative: A Potential Electron Acceptor in Polymeric Solar Cells” C.L. Chochos, S.P. Economopoulos, V. Deimede, V.G. Gregoriou, M.T. Lloyd, G.G. Malliaras, J.K. Kallitsis J. Phys. Chem. C 111 10732 (2007).
- “Effect of Carboxy-Functionalized Multiwall Nanotubes (MWNT−COOH) on the Crystallization and Chain Conformations of Poly(ethylene terephthalate) PET in PET−MWNT Nanocomposites” S. Tzavalas, V. Drakonakis, D.E. Mouzakis, D. Fischer, V. G. Gregoriou Macromolecules 39 9150 (2006).
- “Rod–Coil Block Copolymers Incorporating Terfluorene Segments for Stable Blue Light Emission” C.L. Chochos, J.K. Kallitsis, V.G. Gregoriou J. Phys. Chem. B 109 8755 (2005).
- “Molecular Composition and Orientation of Insterstitial versus Surface Silicon Oxides for Si(111)/SiO2 and Si(100)/SiO2 Interfaces using FT-IR and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopies” V.G. Gregoriou, G. Kandilioti, A. Siokou, S. Kennou, V. Papaeuthimiou Appl. Spectrosc. 57, 628 (2003).
- “Quantitative Depth Profile Analysis of Micron Thick Multi-Layered Thin Coatings Using Step-Scan FT-IR Photoacoustic Spectroscopy” V.G. Gregoriou, and S.E. Rodman, Anal. Chem. 74 (10), 2361 (2002).
- “A Study of the Viscoeleastic Behavior of Novel Side Chain Liquid Crystalline Polyurethanes Using Dynamic Infrared Spectroscopy” B.R. Nair, V.G. Gregoriou, P.T. Hammond, J. Phys. Chem. B. 104, 7874 (2000).
- “Infrared Studies of Novel Optically Responsive Materials; Orientation Characteristics of Sulfonated Polystyrene/Poly(diallyldimethylammonium chloride) Ionic Polymer Multilayers on Patterned Self-Assembled Monolayers” V.G. Gregoriou, R. Hapanowicz, S. L. Clark, P.T. Hammond, Appl. Spectrosc. 51, 311 (1997).
- "FT-IR Difference Spectroscopy of Hemoglobins A and Kempsey: Evidence That a Key Quaternary Interaction Induces Protonation of Asp b99" V.G. Gregoriou, V. Jayaraman, X. Hu, T.G. Spiro, Biochem. 34, 6876 (1995).
- "Modification of a Research-Grade FT-IR Spectrometer for Optional Step-Scan Operation" V.G. Gregoriou, M. Daun, M.W. Schauer, J.L. Chao, R.A. Palmer, Appl. Spectrosc. 47, 1311 (1993).
- "Time-Resolved Vibrational Spectroscopy of an Electric Field-Induced Transition in a Nematic Liquid Crystal by use of Step-Scan 2D FT-IR" V.G. Gregoriou, J.L. Chao, H. Toriumi, R.A. Palmer, Chem. Phys. Lett. 179, 491 (1991).
- "Nonlinear Multivariate Calibration using Principal Components Regression and Artificial Neural Networks" P.J. Gemperline, J.R. Long, V.G. Gregoriou, Anal. Chem. 63, 2313 (1991).
- "Spectroscopic Calibration and Quantitation using Artificial Neural Networks" J.R. Long, V.G. Gregoriou, P.J. Gemperline, Anal. Chem. 62, 1791 (1990).