V. Kumar (Tamil: வி.குமார்), known as Melody King, was introduced to Tamil film music by K. Balachander. He has his own style, which is clearly different from MSV and KVM at that time.
He has used S. P. Balasubrahmanyam for many of his songs. He has been the aasthana MD for K. Balachandar films. Before that, he scored music for his plays.
Songs like Kathoodu than nann pesuvan, Unnedam mayanguren, Madanorchanvam rathiyoodhan, Nann unnai vazhthi padugerean, Adduthathu ambujatthi are testimony to his talent.
- Chigapu kallu mukuthi – Ellorum nallavare
- Kathodu than Paduven – Velli vizha
- Unnedam mayanguren – Then sindhuthe vannam
- Punnagai mannan puvizi kannan – Iru Kodugal
- Ennodu Kannan – Thaaipasam
- Madhanorchanvam – Sadurangam
- Unnai vazithi padugeran – Noothukku nooru
- Thevan Geethamum Kannan Geetahiyum – Raja Naagam
- Addi Adangum – Neer Kumizhi
- Oru Naal Yaaro – Major Chandrakanth
- Unnai thoota kattru vandu – Navagraham
- Natru Nee chinna pappa – Major Chandrakanth
- Mooththaval Nee – Arangetram
- Sapthaswaram Punnagayil – Naadagame Ulagam
- Vaazhvil Sowbaggiyam – Thoondil Meen
- Engellam Valayosai – Vegulippen
- Vaa Vaadithyare – Manorama; – Bommallaatam
- Kannoru Pakkam – Sivaji; – Niraikudam
- Ilamai Kovil Ondru – Yesudas, K.Swarna; – Janaki Sabhatham (1976)
- Nangooram (1979)
- Penn Deivam (1970)