Tan Sri Tunku Imran ibni Almarhum Tuanku Ja’afar al-Haj (born 21 March 1949) is the second son of late Tuanku Jaafar (1922–2008), elected monarch of Negeri Sembilan, one of the thirteen states of Malaysia. He is often known in English simply as Prince Imran.
The prince is a former President of the Commonwealth Games Federation.
Tunku Imran was born at Istana Hinggap, Seremban, Malaysia, 21 March 1949 as the second son of late Tuanku Ja’afar ibni al-Marhum Tuanku ‘Abdu’l Rahman, later Tuanku Jaafar, and his wife Tuanku Najihah binti Tunku Besar Burhanuddin (herself a member of the Royal House of Negeri Sembilan and much younger first cousin of her husband's father Tuanku Abdul Rahman).
His siblings are :
- Elder sister Tunku Naquiah, Tunku Dara (26 December 1944)
- Elder brother Tunku Naquiyuddin, Tunku Laksamana (8 March 1947)
- Younger sister Tunku Jawahir, Tunku Putri (27 January 1952)
- Younger sister Tunku Irinah (23 November 1957)
- Younger brother Tunku Nazaruddin, Tunku Putra (26 October 1959)
- The King’s School, Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom
- Nottingham University, United Kingdom (LLB 1970).
Barr-at-Law (Gray's Inn 1971). Indonesian Representative for PERNAS 1972-1973, MD Haw Par (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd 1973-1976, CEO Antah Group of Coys 1977-2001, Founder Dir of SPA, Chair Aluminium Co of Malaysia Bhd, Minho (Malaysia) Bhd and Lafarge Malayan Cement Bhd, Group Chair Petra Group. Dir Austral Enterprises Bhd, Island & Peninsular Bhd and Hwang-DBS (Malaysia) Bhd. Business Adviser to Jones, Lang Wootton and Partners. Chair Fndn for Sporting Excellence, and the Young Malaysians Society. Presdt Malaysia Heritage Trust, Malaysian German Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Olympic Council of Malaysia, Malaysian Cricket Assoc, and World Squash Fed 1989-1996. Vice-President Commonwealth Games Federation. Malaysian Chef de Mission 24th Olympic Games at Seoul 1988. Trustee Yayasan Tunku Naquiyuddin since 1995, Tuanku Ja’afar Coll. Dir Inst of Strategy & International Studies. Mbr National Sports Council of Malaysia, Malaysian Business Council, Malaysian Healthy Ageing Soc, etc.
Weddings and family
m. (first) … m. (second) 18 February 1987, Y.M Che’ Engku Dato’ Sri Puan Sri Mahirah binti ‘Abdu’llah, née Moira Rodrigo, Vice-Presdt Malaysian Healthy Ageing Society, Selangor & Federal Territory Eurasian Assoc (SAFTA)
He has issue, three sons:
- Tunku Khairil Imran bin Tunku Imran. b. 1975. (s/o 1st wife).
- Tunku Tarrant bin Tunku Imran. b. 21 July 1988 (s/o Mahirah).
- Tunku ‘Abdu’l Rahman Aminu’llah bin Tunku Imran (s/o Mahirah).
He has been awarded :
Honours of Negeri Sembilan
- Negeri Sembilan :
- Paramount of the Order of Negeri Sembilan (DTNS, 19.7.1999)
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Yam Tuan Radin Sunnah (DKYR)
- Knight Grand Commander or Dato’ Sri Paduka Order of Loyalty to Negeri Sembilan (SPNS), now Principal Grand Knight or Dato’ Sri Utama, SUNS)
- The Meritorious Service Medal (Pingat Jasa Kebaktian, PJK)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Member of the Order of the Defender of the Realm
- Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (JMN, 1992)
- Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (PSM)
During the opening ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games, and alongside Queen Elizabeth II, Imran struggled to open the baton that contained her message, but did so eventually amidst great relief and good humour!