|Birth||June 6, 1946 (Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia)|
Tuanku Fauziah (born 6 June 1946), is the current Raja Perempuan of Perlis. She also served as the Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia from 2001 till 12 December 2006.
Tuanku Fauziah is a princess of the royal houses of Terengganu on her father's side and Kelantan on her mother's side. Tuanku Fauziah is the daughter of Yang Amat Mulia Almarhum Tengku Temenggong Tengku Abdul Rashid ibni Almarhum Sultan Sulaiman of Terengganu and Yang Amat Mulia Almarhum Tengku Putri binti Almarhum Sultan Ibrahim of Kelantan. Her father granted the title of Tengku Temenggong by the Sultan of Kelantan, Sultan Ibrahim Petra. She was born on 6 June 1946, and spent her early years in Kota Bharu, Kelantan.
As a student at Zainab English School, Tuanku Fauziah enjoyed recreation and sports such as stage acting, netball and rounders.
At the very young age of 17, she became engaged to Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin, who at that time was still studying in the United Kingdom. To prepare her for her future role of consort to the heir and later to the ruler, she was invited to stay with her future husband's family while they lived at Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia. During her stay with her future in laws, she made trips back to Kelantan whenever necessary.
On 15 February 1967, Tuanku Fauziah was given in marriage to Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin who was then the Raja Muda of Perlis. In recognition of her new position, she was conferred the prestigious Seri Paduka Mahkota Perlis (SPMP) award by her new father-in-law, the late Tuanku Syed Putra, eight months later. On 30 April 1968, the princess was officially created "Duli yang Teramat Mulia Raja Puan Muda Perlis".
As a young bride, Tuanku Fauziah accompanied her husband on all his postings as a junior military officer. However two years later, she returned to Perlis for good when Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin decided to take on his official role as Crown Prince of the State.
Her Royal Highness Tuanku Fauziah was officially declared "Duli Yang Maha Mulia Raja Perempuan Perlis" on 14 July 2000. On 12 December 2001, HRH Tuanku Fauziah was officially declared as "Seri Paduka Baginda Raja Permaisuri Agong" when her husband Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin became the 12th Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia.
Tuanku Fauziah is the mother of a son, Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Putra Jamalullail, Raja Muda, and Sharifah Fazira, Tengku Puteri Mahkota. She is close to her only daughter-in-law, Lailatul Shahreen, Raja Puan Muda and only son-in-law, Mohammad Yaakob.
She is also related to the Royal Pattani family in southern Thailand.
Title and styles
- 6 June 1946 – 29 April 1968 : Her Highness (Yang Amat Mulia) Tengku Fauziah binti Tengku Abdul Rashid of Terengganu
- 30 April 1968 – 16 April 2000 : Her Royal Highness (Duli Yang Teramat Mulia) Tengku Fauziah binti Tengku Abdul Rashid, The Raja Puan Muda of Perlis
- 17 April 2000 – 12 December 2001 : Her Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Tuanku Tengku Fauziah binti Almarhum Tengku Abdul Rashid, The Raja Perempuan of Perlis
- 13 December 2001 – 12 December 2006 : Her Majesty (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda) Tuanku Tengku Fauziah binti Almarhum Tengku Abdul Rashid, The Raja Permaisuri Agong XII
- 13 December 2006 - current : Her Royal Highness (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia) Tuanku Tengku Fauziah binti Almarhum Tengku Abdul Rashid, The Raja Perempuan of Perlis
She has been awarded:
Honours of Perlis
- Perlis :
- Recipient of the Perlis Family Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (DK, 13 December 2001)
- Knight Grand Companion of the Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (SSPJ, 4 December 1995)
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Perlis or Star of Safi (SPMP, 15 February 1967)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Recipient of the Order of the Crown of the Realm (DMN, 13 December 2001)
- Johor :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Johor (SPMJ, before 1967)
- Kelantan :
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order or Star of Yunus (DK, 2002)
- Pahang :
- Member 1st class of the Family Order of the Crown of Indra of Pahang (DK I, 26 October 2005)
- Cambodia : Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Cambodia (16 December 2002)
- Italy : Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (9 June 2003)
- Japan :
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown (7 March 2005)
- Gold and Silver Star (Second class) of the Order of the Sacred Treasure (22 February 1970)
- Spain : Grand Cross of the Order of Isabel the Catholic (13 May 2004)
- Sweden : Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (14 September 2005)