Tomáš Klus (born May 15, 1986) is a Czech musician and songwriter from the Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Republic.
Life and career
Klus was born in the industrial town of Třinec, where he spent most of his childhood. Both his parents were folk music fans, taking Tomáš with them to many different concerts and music festivals. Growing up he was heavily influenced by musicians Karel Plíhal, Karel Kryl and Jaromír Nohavica who were a big inspiration to the young Tomáš, especially Nohavica, who remains one of his favourite musicians, and whose style his own closely resembles.
Klus won a gold medal with his team in 2002 in modern pentathlon on a European championship, but became more interested in performance art and music after moving to Prague, where he initially moved aged 15 to pursue a sporting career.
In 2007 he was the winner of the Czech Talent Zlín competition.
In 2008 he released his debut album, Cesta do záhu(d)by. The single "Do Nebe," featured in the album, was played on Czech Radio previous to the album release. He also produced music for Czech film Anglické jahody ("English Strawberries").
He is currently a student of drama at Prague's drama/theatre university DAMU (Divadelni fakulta AMU).
In 2011 he released a song called "Pánu bohu do oken" (To the God's window) in which he sings about Czech politics, about politicians who make fun of and mock common people. He asks the God what his people deserved this treatment for. It was performed live in Český Slavík 2011, a mainstream Czech music awards ceremony, which only demonstrated its growing popularity among broad audiences of all generations.
On September 26, 2011, his album Racek was released. It debuted at number one in Czech Album Sales Chart and it was certified Gold in its first week on sale. Racek has spent 23 non-consecutive weeks at number one. It was the best selling album of 2011 in the Czech Republic and later it was certified diamond.
Tomáš Klus' latest album called Proměnamě was released on March 24, 2014. It debuted at number one in Czech Album Sales Chart.
- Cesta do záhu(d)by (February 2008, Sony BMG)
- Hlávní uzávěr splínu (2009)
- Racek (2011)
- Proměnamě (2014)
- Anat život není (2015)
- ^ "Diskografie | Tomáš Klus". Tomasklus.cz. Retrieved 2014-03-10.
- "Diskografie | Tomáš Klus". Tomasklus.cz. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
Awards and certifications
Anděl – Czech Music Academy Awards
Český slavík – Czech equivalent of Emmy awards
- 2008 – Anděl – The best new act
- 2009 – Anděl – Singer of the year
- 2010 – TV Óčko Music Awards – Singer of the year
- 2011 – OSA Award – The most successful young artist
- 2011 – Český Slavík Awards – Silver award (2nd place) in category of Male singers
- 2011 – Anděl – Singer of the year
- 2011 – Anděl – Album of the year award for "Racek"
- 2011 – Anděl – The best selling album of the year award for "Racek"
- 2011 – Žebřík Awards – Album of the year award for "Racek"
- 2011 – Žebřík Awards – Male singer of the year – 2nd place
- 2011 – Žebřík Awards – Song of the year award for "Nina"
- 2011 – TýTý Awards – Male singer of the year – 2nd place
- 2011 – TýTý Awards – The best new artist
- 2012 – Český Slavík Awards – Winner in category of Male
- 2009 – Gold album for selling more than 6,000 copies of "Cesta do záhu(d)by"
- 2010 – Gold album for selling more than 8,000 copies of "Hlavní úzavěr splínu"
- 2011 – Platinum album for selling more than 12,000 copies of "Hlavní uzávěr splínu"
- 2011 – Gold album for selling more than 6,000 copies of "Racek"
- 2011 – Platinum album for selling more than 12,000 copies of "Racek"
- 2011 – Double platinum album for selling more than 24,000 copies of "Racek"
- 2012 – Diamond album for selling more than 50,000 copies of "Racek"