Tom 'Ted' Stonier (29 April 1927 in Hamburg; – 15 June 1999) was a biologist, philosopher, information theoretist, educator and pacifist. His scientific studies centered on information provide a plausible explanation to evolutionist concepts of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. He drafts the principle of the transformation of a primordial energetic soup (big bang) towards a pure informational state (the Chardin's Omega point). He places the current material World in this entropic, dynamical evolution of the energy-matter-information equilibrium.
In 1975 Stonier was appointed to the foundation chair in science and society at Bradford University, England, where he specialised in the interaction of science, technology and society. In 1985 he co-founded, with Dave Catlin, Valiant Technology, a London-based company who designed LOGO Programming Language based Turtle robots the Valiant Turtle and the Roamer educational robot.
- Nuclear Disaster 1964
- The Natural History of Humanity: Past, Present and Future. In: International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 14 (1) 1981, S. 91-122
- The Wealth Of Information: A Profile Of The Post-Industrial Economy 1983
- Machine Intelligence and the Long-Term Future of the Human Species. In: AI & Society 2(2) 1988, S. 133-139
- Information And The Internal Structure Of The Universe 1990
- Beyond Information: The Natural History Of Intelligence 1992
- Information And Meaning; An Evolutionary Perspective 1997