Thomas E. Sherwood (May 31, 1835 – April 10, 1897) was the first post master of Farmersville, Texas (1857), mayor of Dallas, Texas (1861–1862) and became a Methodist minister in 1867.
Thomas Emory Sherwood was born in Washington County, Indiana to Rev. Jeremiah Sherwood and Sarah Elrod on May 31, 1835. He moved to Texas with his parents about 1842. He married Nannie Lavinia McCreary on 30 Oct 1856 in Rockwall, Kaufman County, Texas. (Note: Rockwall county was created in 1873.) They had four children: one son and three daughters.
He joined 15th Texas Cavalry CSA on February 25, 1862 and mustered in March 10, 1862. The Cavalry was dismounted in July. He was promoted to commissary.
He was licensed to preach by the Dallas Circuit, Dallas District, East Texas Methodist Conference in 1866. He was ordained in 1870. He traveled as a circuit rider and preached in Greenville, Rockwall, Sulphur Springs, Honey Grove, Pilot Point, Wichita Falls, Sherman, Pottsboro, Bonham, Dodd City.
He died April 10, 1897 in Dodd City, Texas and was interred in City Cemetery, Sulphur Springs, Texas.