Talat Ahmad is an Indian Earth Scientist and Professor at Department of Geology, University of Delhi. He commenced his second stint as Vice Chancellor of University of Kashmir on 06 August 2018 after serving as Vice Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia after he resigned from the post a few months short of his full term. He was shortlisted by a Committee constituted by the Governor to shotlist a panel for the post. He had earlier taken over as Vice-Chancellor of University of Kashmir from Professor Riyaz Punjabi on 1 June 2011. Prior to this, he was teaching Geology at the University of Delhi.
Talat Ahmad was selected to serve a second term as Vice Chancellor University of Kashmir after he was selected by Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Narinder Nath Vohra in his capacity as Chancellor of the State University. He was handed over charge by Professor Khurshid Iqbal Andrabi who had been serving as officiating Vice-Chancellor since October 2017 after his tenure was over.
During his first tenure, Talat Ahmad was recommended for the position of Vice-Chancellor, University of Kashmir by a search committee headed by former member of Planning Commission, Prof. Abid Hussain, former Indian Ambassador to USA, and comprising Professor G. K. Chadha, CEO, South Asian University and former Vice-Chancellor, Jawaharlal Nehru University, and Prof. Seyed E. Hasnain, an eminent Scientist and former Vice-Chancellor of University of Hyderabad.
Talat Ahmad is the first Vice Chancellor to serve a second term and the second Vice Chancellor to be appointed from outside the state of Jammu and Kashmir in the past two decades. Jalees Ahmad Khan Tareen was the first Vice-Chancellor from outside the state who ran office from 2001 to 2004.
Talat Ahmad was born and brought up in a small town of Giridih, Jharkhand. His father was Moinuddin Ahmad.
Talat Ahmad did his schooling from Giridih Higher Secondary School. In 1977, he joined Aligarh Muslim University to pursue MSc in Geology. He completed M Phil in Ore Petrology from Jawaharlal Nehru University in 1980 and in 1985, he completed his PhD in Igneous Petrology from JNU.
He did a Post Doctoral Fellowship with University of Leicester during 1988–89 under a Government of India Fellowship and another from University of Cambridge under Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) during 1997–98. In 1999–2000, he did another Post Doctoral Fellowship under Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) with Nagoya University, Japan.
In 1979, Dr. Ahmad got selected in the UPSC and started working as a Junior Geologist with the Geological Survey of India (GSI) and formally joined GSI in February 1980. He worked there for a year, but left it soon after as for him, it was more of a survey and less of research. Later, he worked as a Scientist-B with Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehra Dun from 16 July 1984 to 3 September 1989. Dr. Talat worked at the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehra Dun, as a Scientist under DST for nineteen years (1984–2003).
He joined Department of Geology, University of Delhi as Professor on 31 October 2003. There he started a project in central India and Rajasthan, in addition to research work in Himalayas. He got another project, Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) after coming to the valley of Kashmir.
He took over as Vice-Chancellor of University of Kashmir on 1 June 2011.
On 29 April 2014, Dr.Talat was appointed as the Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Pursuant to the permission of the Chancellor of the University, Prof. Talat Ahmad was relieved from the post by Prof. A M Shah, Dean Academic Affairs of the University. Prof. Talat joined Jamia Millia Islamia on 15 May 2014 taking over from officiating Vice-Chancellor Prof S M Sajid and thus succeeded Najeeb Jung after he was sworn-in as the 20th Lieutenant Governor of Delhi in April 2013.
In 2018, Dr. Talat Ahmed again was appointed as Vice-Chancellor of Kashmir University for the second time.
Talat Ahmad has over 65 research publications to his credit. He has supervised several M. Phil and PhD research studies at the University of Delhi and the Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
He has been working on various sponsored projects, including Geochemical, Isotopic and Geochronological characterisation of Granotoids from the Central Indian Tectonic Zones (CITZ) and Central Indian Shear Zones (CISZ)-Constraints on Pre-cambrian Crystal Evolution, funded by Indo-Russian, ILTP Project, and Proterozoic mafic magmatism in the Central Indian Tectonic Zone (CITZ): elemental and isotopic constraints on crystal evolution and geodynamics.
Fellowships and awards
Talat Ahmad has the memberships of many is a recipient of the following fellowships and awards:
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi
- Fellow of National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad
- National Mineral Award, from the Government of India in 1994.
- J C Bose National Fellowship 2011
- S.M. Naqvi Gold Medal 2013
Memberships and honours
Talat Ahmad bears memberships of prestigious Societies and a recipient of many prestigious honours.
- Life member and Executive Committee Member of Alumni Association of JNU (JNU, New Delhi)
- Life member of Mineralogical Society of India
- Honorary Research Associate of the Department of Geology, University of Leicester, UK
- Associate Member, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology Society
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board of the Indian Journal of Geochemistry
- Member, Advisory Committee for DRS, Department of Geology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur
- Member, Expert Panel for the Science and Engineering Research Council
- Member, National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) UGC
- Member, "Deep Continental Studies Programme" of the Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi
- Convener, Vision Committee for Perspective Planning for the Academic Activities of Department of Geology, University of Delhi, Delhi
- Regional Coordinator, International Geological Correlation Programme, Member, Working Group for Geology for the National Science Digital Library Under the National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources, CSIR
- Regional Coordinator, International Geological Correlation Programme (IGCP) Project 516 on the "Geological anatomy of East and South East Asia"
- Member, Editorial Board for Indian Journal of Geology
- Member, Working Group for Geology for the National Science Digital Library (NSDL) Under the National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources, CSIR, New Delhi
- Member, Editorial Board for Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences
- Member, Expert Group for 'Electron Probe Micro-Analyzer (EPMA) National Facility at IIT Kharagpur' under the Science & Engineering Research Council, Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi
- Member Editorial Board for Journal of Virtual Explorer an electronic journal from Monash University, Australia. ISSN Number: 1441-8126 (Printed Journal); 1441-8142 (Online Journal) and 1441-8134 (CD-ROM Journal)
- Member, Editorial Board of the Journal of the Mineralogical Society of India
- Member, Editorial Board of the Gondwana Geological Magazine
- Member, Editorial Board of the Journal of the Geological Society of India
- Member Editorial Board Of the Journal of Earth System Science
- Member, Expert Group for FIST North East, DST, New Delhi
- Member, Board of Research Studies for the Faculty of Sciences, Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Kashmir