Sylvia June Day (born March 11, 1973) is a Japanese American writer of romance novels. She also writes under the pseudonyms S.J. Day and Livia Dare. She is a number one bestselling author in 28 countries.
Day writes romance novels, speculative/paranormal fiction, historical fiction, and futuristic fiction (under the pseudonym Livia Dare). She has also published fiction under the pseudonym S. J. Day, and non-fiction.
She is the co-founder of Passionate Ink, a special interest chapter of Romance Writers of America (RWA), and served on RWA's Board of Directors from 2009-13. She was the 22nd President of RWA. Day presently serves on the Authors Guild Board of Directors.
She presents workshops for writing groups and has been a speaker at events such as the RT Booklovers Convention, Romance Writers of America's National Convention, and Comic-Con.
In March 2013, Harlequin Enterprises and Hearst Corporation announced the signing of Day to a seven-figure contract to write two novellas to launch "Cosmo Red Hot Reads from Harlequin," a new collaboration between the publisher and communications giant.
In June 2013, Penguin USA agreed on an eight-figure deal for two more "Crossfire" books, with Penguin UK acquiring UK and Commonwealth rights for an additional seven-figures.
In January 2014, Macmillan's St. Martin's Press announced a two-book, eight-figure agreement with Day for a new "Blacklist" series. Penguin UK acquired UK and Commonwealth rights to the series for an additional seven-figures.
Day's Crossfire series has 13 million English-language copies in print and international rights licensed in over 40 territories as of January 2014.
Bared to You was #4 on the Amazon.com's list of top 10 best-selling books of 2012, #5 on iTunes' Top Ten Books of the Year, and #7 on Bookscan's Top 10 Print Book Sales of 2012 – Adult Fiction.
The Crossfire series was acquired by Lionsgate Television Group for television adaptation, but Day declined a third renewal of the option and the rights have reverted to her.
In September 2015, Day launched the digital lifestyle magazine Beyond Words, which publishes daily articles covering travel, entertainment, style, wellness, and philanthropy.
Day has been honored with the Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award, the EPPIE Award, the National Readers' Choice Award, and several nominations for Romance Writers of America's RITA Award.
- 2007 RITA Award nominee ("Her Mad Grace")
- 2007 Romantic Times Magazine Reviewers' Choice Award nominee (Passion for the Game)
- 2008 RITA Award nominee ("Mischief and the Marquess")
- 2008 Romantic Times Magazine Reviewers' Choice Award Winner (Don't Tempt Me)
- 2008 National Readers' Choice Award Winner (Heat of the Night)
- 2009 Romantic Times Magazine Reviewers' Choice Award Nominee (In the Flesh)
- 2009 National Readers Choice Award Winner (In the Flesh)
- 2010 Readers' Crown Award Winner (In the Flesh and Eve of Darkness)
- 2012 Goodreads Choice Award Best Romance Nominee (Bared to You)
- 2012 Goodreads Choice Award Best Goodreads Author Nominee
- 2012 Amazon's Best Books of the Year in Romance editors' selection (Bared to You)
- 2013 Goodreads Choice Award Best Romance Nominee (Entwined with You)
- 2014 Amazon's Best Books of the Year in Romance editors' selection (The Stranger I Married)
- 2015 Goodreads Choice Award Best Romance Nominee (Captivated by You)
In April 2013, HeroesAndHeartbreakers.com broke the news that Day's Crossfire series had been optioned for television adaptation. Lions Gate Entertainment secured the rights. Kevin Beggs, President of the Lionsgate Television Group, confirmed the acquisition on August 5, 2013 in a press release. Lionsgate TV Executive Vice President Chris Selak, who was to oversee development for the studio, said, "The Crossfire series is an incredible property and it is a thrill to bring it to Lionsgate. Sylvia has created an enduring, sexy and edgy story, and we're looking forward to working with her to create a show that both excites and connects with audiences as her books have done." However, Day declined a third renewal of the option and the rights have reverted to her.
In June 2017, startup streaming entertainment company Passionflix began production of Day's Afterburn/Aftershock film adaptation. Principal photography concluded on July 29, 2017. The film debuted in November 2017.
Beyond Words: Sylvia Day, a documentary covering the world tour supporting the release of Day’s One with You, was released on October 9, 2018.