|Intro||German mathematician, historian of mathematics and meteorologist|
|A.K.A.||Adam Wilhelm Siegmund Günther|
|Was||Mathematician Historian Historian of mathematics Meteorologist Professor Educator Politician|
|Type||Academia Mathematics Science Social science Politics|
|Birth||6 February 1848, Nuremberg, Germany|
|Death||4 February 1923, Munich, Germany (aged 75 years)|
|Politics||German Progress Party|
Adam Wilhelm Siegmund Günther (6 February 1848 – 3 February 1923) was a German geographer, mathematician, historian of mathematics and natural scientist.
Born in 1848 to a German businessman, Günther would go on to attend several German universities including Erlangen, Heidelberg, Leipzig, Berlin, and Göttingen.
In 1872 he began teaching at a school in Weissenburg, Bavaria. He completed his habilitation thesis on continued fractions entitled Darstellung der Näherungswerte der Kettenbrüche in independenter Form in 1873. The next year he began teaching at Munich Polytechnicum. In 1876, he began teaching at a university in Ansbach where he stayed for several years before moving to Munich and becoming a professor of geography until he retired.
His mathematical work included works on the determinant, hyperbolic functions, and parabolic logarithms and trigonometry.
- Darstellung der Näherungswerthe der Kettenbrüche in independenter Form. Eduard Besold, Erlangen, 1873
- Vermischte Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der mathematischen Wissenschaften. Teubner, Leipzig, 1876
- Lehrbuch der Determinanten-Theorie für Studirende. Eduard Besold, Erlangen, 1877
- Die Lehre von den gewöhnlichen und verallgemeinerten Hyperbelfunktionen. Louis Nebert, Halle, 1881
- Parabolische Logarithmen und parabolische Trigonometrie. Teubner, Leipzig, 1882