Setenay Özbek (born 1961, in Istanbul, Turkey) Is a Turkish-born writer, artist, and documentary filmmaker. Özbek is of Ubykh descent.
Özbek was born in 1961 in Istanbul, Turkey and she attended Erenköy Girls High School. In 1990, she graduated from Marmara University, within the Faculty of Fine Arts in the Department of Performing Arts.
From 1983 to 1986, Özbek studied art informally at the "Istasyon Fine Art Academy", under the tutelage of several artists, Sabri Berkel, Hülya Düzenli, Erkan Özdilek and Ergül Özkutan. Her abstract expressionist paintings are created in both acrylic and oil paint, they have a bold appearance due to the contrasting colours and shapes. Since 1986, Özbek went on to branch out into documentary filmmaking.
In 2009, she was awarded first prize for the Bakrac Art Gallery 30th Year Painting Competition. In 2009, Fifth Tashkent Biennale of Contemporary Art, "The 3rd Runner up".
She is a member of International PEN Association of Writers and International Association of Art (A.I.A.A) to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
In 2015, Özbek moved to the seaside town of Bodrum, Turkey and opened an art school for local children.
Select art exhibitions
- 2014 - "Inner Impressions", Art 350 Gallery, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2012 - "Inner Impressions", Berze Collectibles, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2012 - "Without Borders", Art 350 Gallery, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2011 - Gallery Espas, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2010 – TIGGES, Rechtsanwälte, Düsseldorf, Germany
- 2010 - Bakrac Art Gallery, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2009 - "Across Land And Time" International Art Studio "Radovan Trnavac Mica", Valjevo, Serbia
- 2009 - “Cosmos” Rep. of Turkey, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Suna Çokgür Ilıcak Art Gallery, Ankara, Turkey
- 2008 - "Cosmos", Austuria Consulate General Culture Office, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2008 - "Dedicated to the Moment" Gallery Binyil, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2007 - "Sincerity" Gallery Artist, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2007 – "Inner Reminiscences" Gallery-A, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2006 – 6. Ankara Fine Arts Fair, Gallery Binyil, Ankara, Turkey
- 2006 – İş Bankası Art Gallery, Izmir, Turkey
- 2005 – Ankara Fine Arts Fair, Galeri X, Ankara, Turkey
- 2005 – Art Istanbul 2005, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2017 - Florence Biennale XI, Florence, Italy
- 2013 - "9/90 Republic", Delegation of Turkey to the EU, Brussel, Belgium
- 2013 - "90/90", Republic Of Turkey embassy, Berlin, Germany
- 2010 - WALL FOR PEACE – W - AFPIAAP, Sanski, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 2010 - FEED_BACK, group exhibition, Los Angeles Center for Digital Art (LACDA), Los Angeles, California, United States, curated by: Roxanne Brousseau-Félio
- 2010 - Fourth International Art Forum, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
- 2010 - Egypt Culture Centre, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2009 - 5th Tashkent International Biennale of Contemporary Art, Uzbekistan
- 2008 - "October Passage VII", Istanbul Technical University (ITU) Maslak, Istanbul
- 2008 - 3rd International Art Festival, Dryanovo, Bulgaria
- 2007 - International Art Camp, group exhibition and art auction, Association Saint Henri, Toulouse, France
- 2007 - Uchisar Group Exhibition, French Cultural Association, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2007 - Adana Caucasian Culture Association, Adana, Turkey
- 2007 - INTES Art Gallery, Ankara, Turkey
- 2007 – "Caucasian Art and Cultural Heritage", Belgian North Caucasian Association, MuHKa Museum, Belgium
- 2007 – International Art Symposium and Group Exhibition, in Uchisar and Istanbul, Turkey
- 2007 – Baglarbasi Caucasian Culture Association, Istanbul / Turkey
- 2006 – Adana Caucasian Culture Association "An Invitation For The Peace", Adana / Turkey
- 2006 – 238th Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, England (shortlisted)
- 2005 – Mersin University "October Passage IV", Mersin / Turkey