Roy Vogt is a professional electric bass and upright bass player who took up the instrument in Texas at 14, inspired by Jack Bruce, Jack Casady, Chris Hillman and Noel Redding. His first mentor, Dallas bassist Ed Garcia, turned him onto the playing of Ray Brown and Stanley Clarke and detoured the young bassist into jazz and fusion. Vogt worked in a variety of Rock, Funk and Country bands in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area until he joined the Texas fusion band Aurora.
This led to gigs opening for Larry Coryell and the LA Express and allowed Vogt to meet and learn from Stanley Clarke, Miroslav Vitous, and Max Bennett. The music of the Dixie Dregs, Mark Egan with Pat Metheny, and Jaco Pastorius led Vogt to the University of Miami Jazz program, where he received the first Masters in Electric Bass Performance awarded in the US in 1980.
In 1980, Vogt moved to Nashville, Tennessee where he has worked with the Allman Brothers Band guitarist Dickey Betts, country guitarist Jerry Reed, and a host of major label Rock, Country, Contemporary Christian, and Pop acts. He was the staff bassist on Channel 4 magazine (WSMV-NBC) from 1983-1987 and has taught at Belmont University since 1983.
He also transcribed the Bass Extremes book with the duets of Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. He has also taught many Nashville-based bassists such as Justin Smith, Mark Golden, Alan O.W. Barnes (though Barnes has since relocated to Atlanta), Rich Brinsfield, Matthew Haussler, Chris Dunn and many others.
In 2009 Roy released his landmark interactive DVD instructional course Teach Me Bass Guitar. Since then, he has appeared at the Summer NAMM Shows as well as the 2010 Winter NAMM in Anaheim. He also recorded and released his second solo album, Urban Legend on his own RVM label. He has appeared at the Baked Potato in LA, Winter NAMM 2010 and the Music Garage in Chicago as well as many venues in Nashville leading his own bands.
Currently, he is Senior Lecturer in Electric Bass and String Bass at Belmont University in Nashville's Wilson School of Music and has appeared as a Clinician/Panelist at The National Guitar Workshops, Victor Wooten's Bass and Nature Camps, Bass Player Live and his own Roy Vogt's Fantasy Bass Boot Camps in Nashville, TN.
Roy currently endorses Accuracy, Kiesel Guitars, Hotwire and Conklin Basses and DNA Amplification.
- Stan Lassiter Group -"Psychic Sweat" (Castle CA 4870)
- Bass Talk 6:Deep Impact Ahead -"Victor-ious" (with Victor Wooten on Hotwire Records EFA 12843-2)
- Bass Talk 7: Lords of the Bass - "Burnin"
- Andy Gerome - "Miles of Horizon" (Town Hall Music HTM 998)
- Aurora - (Shroom SP 99007)
- Tachoir -"Vision" (Avita Records CD-1006)
- The Group Tachoir - "Beyond Stereotype" (Avita CD-1008)
- Angela Kaset - "Sanctuary" (Winter Harvest WH3307-2)
- Jonelle Mosser - "Around Townes" (Winter Harvest WH3308-2)
- Mickey Newbury - Lulled by Moonlight
- Roy Vogt-"Simplicity" (Shroomangel SAP-003)
- Roy Vogt-"Urban Legend" (RVM-053)
- Jerry Tachoir Group-"Travels" (Avita CD-1014)
- Tim McDonald-"Tim McDonald II featuring Chester Thompson and Roy Vogt" (Tim McDonald 2010)
- Jerry Tachoir Group-"Stories" (Avita CD-1015)
- Roy Vogt - Electric Bass Master Study Series
- Getting the Most Out of 5 String Bass (Superchops 4 Bass VRV-35)
- Getting the Most Out of 6 String Bass (Superchops 4 Bass VRV-36)
- The Day the Bass Players Took Over the World (With Dave Pomeroy and the All-Bass Orchestra on Earwave EAW-106)
- Teach Me Bass Guitar DVD Series