Romero Britto (6 October 1963) is a Brazilian neo-pop artist, painter, serigrapher, and sculptor. He combines elements of cubism, pop art and graffiti painting in his work, using vibrant colors and bold patterns as a visual expression of hope and happiness. Born in Recife, in Northeast of Brazil, Britto lived an extremely modest childhood while growing up among a big family of eight brothers and sisters. However, his innate creativity allowed Britto to fill his life with images of a bigger and more beautiful world beyond his own. Self-taught at an early age, he painted what he saw and what he imagined on surfaces such as newspapers, cardboard or any scraps that he could find. With an inordinate passion to excel, he prospered academically. Still, Britto's artistic nature eventually led him to seek experiences outside the classroom. In 1983, Britto went to Paris where he was introduced to the works of Matisse and Picasso. After exhibiting in a few galleries and private shows, Britto was encouraged to travel to the United States where Pop Art was flourishing.
Britto has lived in Miami, Florida since 1989. Shortly after Britto arrived in the United States, Michel Roux, founder of Absolute Vodka's Absolute Art Ad Campaign, happened by Britto's first studio in Coconut Grove, Florida. Roux quickly asked Britto to reinterpret the famous bottle, which would be published and seen by millions. Britto has completed other corporate works for the 2016 Presidential campaign of governor Jeb Bush as well as for Monsanto, Bain Capital, Movado, Philip Morris, Academi (formerly Blackwater), Disney, Enrico Coveri, Pepsi, the United Nations, BMW and Royal Caribbean Cruises. Britto has one main art gallery in Miami, on South Beach on Lincoln Road.
Works on display
In the United States, Europe and Asia
- Tomorrow Monumental Sculpture for Sebastian Ferraro Atrium at UF Health Children's Hospital, Gainesville, Florida
- Welcome Monumental Sculpture for Dadeland North Station, Miami
- Star Art Star Art Foundation, Coral Gables (Miami)
- Our Guardian Angel Jackson Memorial Hospital mural, Miami
- Mural Miami Children's Museum, Miami
- Florida Museum of Hispanic and Latin American Art, Miami
- Paradise City of Miami Beach, Miami Beach
- Grapeland Heights Water Park, Miami
- Confetti Mayfair Galleria Mall, Miami
- In the Air US AIR Frequent Flyer's Club, Palm Beach
- Bean Man Governor's Mansion, Tallahassee, Florida
- California Gold California Winery Associates California
- The Nurse American Red Cross Headquarters, Washington
- The Ultimate Kid Strong Memorial Hospital, New York City
- Michel Roux Carillon Importers Headquarters, Teaneck
- Growing as a Child St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, Philadelphia
- One People--One Planet The Tae Jon International Exposition, South Korea
- Medallion Swedish Wine & Spirits Corp. Sweden
- Absolut Britto II, ABSOLUT Vodka Headquarters, Stockholm, Sweden
- Dance of Hearts Ormond Street Children's Hospital, England
- Mural Pernambuco Catholic University, Recife, Brazil
- The Mariner of the Seas Royal Caribbean
- Angelo, Venus, Music, Mona Cat, Yellow Flowers, etc. Skynear Designs Gallery Washington, DC
- "Brazil", Marcelo Camargo, Orlandia, Brazil
- "Heart of Velvet Underground", Zouk Club, Singapore, Singapore
Romero Britto was honored as theme of Renascer de Jacarepaguá samba school in its 2012 Carnival parade. Britto himself took part of the parade on Sambadrome Marquês de Sapucaí.
Britto is a conservative, hosting a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush at his Miami studio in 2015, where he unveiled a mural that he and Jeb Bush's wife Columba had painted with the slogan "#AllInForJeb". Previously, Britto held a fundraiser at his gallery for 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.