Rolf Johannesson (22 July 1900 – 6 December 1989) was a highly decorated Konteradmiral in the Kriegsmarine during World War II and Konteradmiral in the Bundeswehr. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Rolf Johannesson was captured by British troops at the end of the war and was held until 1946. He joined the post war Bundesmarine in 1957 and retired in 1961 as a Konteradmiral.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (19 July 1919)
- Baltic Cross
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Spanish Cross in Silver with Swords
- Destroyer War Badge (1940)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Clasp to 2nd Class (6 November 1939)
- 1st Class (15 December 1939)
- German Cross in Gold on 12 February 1942 as Fregattenkapitän on Z-15 "Erich Steinbrinck"
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 7 December 1942 as Kapitän zur See and commander of destroyer Hermes
- Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (12 June 1961)
- ^ Dörr 1995, p. 285.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 211.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 201.