Roelf Johannes (Roel) Wieringa (born 1952) is a Dutch computer scientist and Professor of Information Systems at the University of Twente, specialized in the "integration of formal and informal specification and design techniques".
Wieringa received his MA in 1987 at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science for the thesis Machine intelligence and explication, and his PhD in 1990 under supervision of Reinder Pieter van de Riet for the thesis Algebraic Foundations for Dynamic Conceptual Models.
Early 1990s he continued to work at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science of the Vrije Universiteit. In 1998 he joined the Department of Computer Science of the University of Twente as Professor of Information Systems. Among his doctoral students was Erik Proper. From 2006 to 2011 he was Scientific Director of the School of Information and Knowledge Systems (SIKS), and from 2009 to 2012 he headed the computer science department at the University of Twente.
Wieringa has been Associate Editor in Chief of the IEEE Software journal from 2004 to 2007, and is member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Business Information Systems, the Journal of Software and Systems Modeling, and the Requirements Engineering Journal.
Books, a selection
- 1990. Algebraic Foundations for Dynamic Conceptual Models PhD thesis Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- 1996. Requirements Engineering: Frameworks for Understanding Wiley
- 1998. The role of deontic logic in the specification of information systems. With J-J. Meyer, and Frank PM Dignum. Springer US.
- 2003. Design methods for reactive systems: Yourdon, statemate, and the UML. Elsevier.
- 2008. Competences of IT Architects. With Erik Proper, Pascal van Eck and Claudia Steghuis. The Hague : Academic Service
Articles, a selection:
- 1991. "The identification of objects and roles-object identifiers revisited." With Wiebren de Jonge.
- 2003. "Aligning application architecture to the business context." With others in: Advanced Information Systems Engineering. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2003.
- 2006. "Enterprise architecture: Management tool and blueprint for the organisation." With Henk Jonkers. Marc Lankhorst et al. in:Information Systems Frontiers 8.2 (2006): 63-66.