Robert "Rob" Rock is an American heavy metal singer-songwriter, best known as the longtime frontman of Impellitteri, a position he has held from 1987 to 1988, 1992 to 2000, and now from 2008 to the present day. Rock has also released five albums as a solo artist, and performed with a number of other notable artists, including M.A.R.S., Joshua, Tobias Sammet, Axel Rudi Pell and Warrior.
Rob Rock started his music career in 1983 when he and Chris Impellitteri joined a cover band called VICE. They released a demo and were together until 1985. In 1986, he joined musicians Tony MacAlpine (guitar), Tommy Aldridge (drums), and Rudy Sarzo (bass) in a project called M.A.R.S. The group released a lone album entitled Project: Driver in 1986, which received much critical praise, but the next year each member went a different way.
Rock then reunited with friend Chris Impellitteri and recorded the self-titled debut EP of the latter's band Impellitteri. However, he was also committed to another band named Joshua, so he could not continue with the band at the time. Rock recorded one album with Joshua, which was characterized by the editor of HM Magazine as being "probably the best melodic metal album in the universe." He also worked on other projects (Dennis Cameron's Angelica, Driver) which gave him knowledge of international musicians that would serve him well later.
In the early 1990s, he received a call from Chris Impellitteri to once again join his band. He agreed and became the band's lead singer until 2000. Together, Impellitteri released five successful albums.
In 2000, Rock decided to pursue his own solo career and parted ways with Impellitteri amicably. That same year, he released his first solo album called Rage of Creation. The album received critical praise and Rock has gone on, releasing three more albums (Eyes of Eternity, Holy Hell, Garden of Chaos).
In May 2008 it was announced that Rock reunited once more with Impellitteri. Their new album, Wicked Maiden, was released in April 2009.
Rock has also lent his voice to the Randy Rhoads tribute released in 2000 and to countless other projects through his career like Avantasia and Axel Rudi Pell.
In 2013, Rob Rock made part of former Stratovarius guitarist Timo Tolkki new project called Avalon, a metal opera featuring Rock as one of the main characters. He sings 6 songs on the album The Land of New Hope.
Rock has one son, Alexander John, with his wife Liza. Alexander was born January 5, 2006. Rock is a born again Christian, which has formed the subject matter of many of his lyrics.
- Rob Rock - vocals (2000–present)
- Carl Johan Grimmark - guitars (2004–present)
- Daniel Hall - guitars (2004–present)
- Andreas Olsson - bass (2004–present)
- Anders Johansson - drums (2004–present)
- Roy Z - guitars, bass, keyboard (full-time member from 2000 till 2003, is now only a studio member)
- Jake E. Lee - a couple of guitar solos on the album "Rage of Creation"
- Rick Renstrom - guitars (2001–2004)
- Bob Rossi - guitars (2003–2004)
- Hank Coffey - guitars (2001–2002)
- Ray "Geezer" Burke - bass (2000–2003, session member)
- Stephen Elder - bass (2000–2004, live member)
- Reynold Carlsson - drums (2000–2003)
- Tracy Shell - drums (2000–2010)
- Giuseppe "Maestro Mistheria" Iampieri - keyboard (session member)
- Rage of Creation (2000)
- Eyes of Eternity (2003)
- Holy Hell (2005)
- Garden of Chaos (2007)
- The Voice of Melodic Metal - Live in Atlanta (2009)