Mochamad Ridwan Kamil (born 4 October 1971) or known by his nickname Emil, is the incumbent Mayor of Bandung. He was elected as mayor of Bandung on 23 June 2013. He is an Indonesian architect and lecturer in the Department of Architecture, Bandung Institute of Technology. Emil founded architect firm Urbane Indonesia in 2004 with three partners.
Emil studied architecture at the Bandung Institute of Technology, and continued to study for a Master of Urban Design at the College of Environmental Design, University of California, Berkeley.
In 2006, Emil was the Indonesian winner of the British Council's Young Creative Entrepreneur award, representing Indonesia in the International Young Design Entrepreneur of the Year award.
In 2009, Emil was selected as the Architect of the Year by Elle Decor magazine.
Urbane Indonesia was listed in the BCI Asia Top 10 Awards from 2008 to 2010 and again in 2012.
Emil was the pioneer of the Indonesia Berkebun movement to build amateur gardens in the cities of Indonesia. As of 2011 the community project is established in fourteen cities in Indonesia, with membership approaching 4000.
Emil and Urbane Indonesia projects in Indonesia include
- United Tractors office tower in Jakarta,
- Al-Irsyad Mosque and Al-Irsyad Satya Islamic School in Bandung,
- Aceh Tsunami Museum in Banda Aceh,
- Tarumanegara University Tower I and campus revision, and
- Rasuna Epicentrum
International projects include
- Marina Bay Waterfront Master Plan in Singapore,
- Beijing Islamic Centre Mosque,
- Ras Al Kaimah Waterfront Master Plan,
- Suzhou Retail Waterfront Masterplan in China,
- Tech Park Kunming, and
- Grand Tourism Community Club House in Calcutta
In Popular Culture
Ridwan Kamil made some cameo appearances in several TV and movie productions, particularly the ones that are set in Bandung, including the TV series Preman Pensiun and a 2015 movie The Wedding & Bebek Betutu