Reinhart Reche (13 December 1915 in Kreuzburg – 3 March 1993 in Bad Godesberg) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Prior to taking command of U-255, Reche served as first watch officer on U-751 (31 January 1941 – 30 September 1941), at the time under the command of Gerhard Bigalk. He was credited with sinking four ships from convoy PQ 17.
Summary of career
As commander of U-255 Reche sank nine commercial ships for 47,229 gross register tons (GRT), and damaged another commercial ship for a total loss of 7,191 GRT.
|Fate and location|
|6 July 1942||John Witherspoon||United States||7,191||Sunk at|
|7 July 1942||Alcoa Ranger||United States||5,116||Sunk at|
|8 July 1942||Olopana||United States||6,069||Sunk at|
|13 July 1942||Paulus Potter||Netherlands||7,168||Sunk at|
|20 September 1942||Silver Sword||United States||4,937||Sunk at|
|26 January 1943||Krasnyj Partizan||Soviet Union||2,418||Sunk at|
|29 January 1943||Ufa||Soviet Union||1,892||Sunk at|
|3 February 1943||Greylock||United States||7,460||Sunk at|
|5 March 1943||Executive||United States||4,978||Sunk at|
|10 March 1943||Richard Bland||United States||7,191||Total loss at|
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (7 July 1941)
- 1st Class (23 July 1942)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (9 September 1941)
- U-boat Front Clasp (2 November 1944)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 17 March 1943 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-255
- Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (27 August 1973)
- ^ Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWII U-boat successes: Ships hit by U-255". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- ^ Busch & Röll 2003, p. 322.
- ^ Busch & Röll 2003, p. 323.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 351.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 615.