|Birth||19 December 1925 (Flensburg)|
|Death||6 February 1980|
Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (Ortrud Prinzessin zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg; Full given names: Ortrud Bertha Adelheid Hedwig), (19 December 1925, Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany – 6 February 1980) was a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and a Princess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg by birth, and through her marriage to Ernest Augustus IV, Prince of Hanover, a member of the House of Hanover.
Ortrud was the daughter of Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1863–1948) and his second wife, Princess Hertha of Ysenburg and Büdingen (1883–1972), daughter of Bruno, 3rd Prince of Ysenburg and Büdingen.
Marriage and issue
Ortrud married Prince Ernest Augustus of Hanover (later Ernest Augustus, Prince of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick) on 31 August 1951 at Marienburg Castle, Nordstemmen, Hanover, Germany in a civil marriage ceremony. They were remarried four days later in a religious ceremony in Hanover. Ernest Augustus and Ortrud had six children:
- Princess Marie Viktoria Luise Hertha Friederike of Hanover (b. 1952); married Count Michael von Hochberg and had issue.
- Ernst August Albert Paul Otto Rupprecht Oskar Berthold Friedrich-Ferdinand Christian Ludwig, Prince of Hanover (b. 1954); married firstly Chantal Hochuli and had issue, married secondly Princess Caroline of Monaco, and had issue.
- Prince Ludwig Rudolph Georg Wilhelm Philipp Friedrich Wolrad Maximilian of Hanover (1955–1988); married Countess Isabelle von Thurn und Valsassina-Como-Vercelli (1962–1988) with whom he had one son, Prince Otto Heinrich of Hanover. Ludwig committed suicide shortly after discovering the body of his wife, who had died of a drug overdose.
- Princess Olga Sophie Charlotte Anna of Hanover (b. 1958)
- Princess Alexandra Irene Margaretha Elisabeth Bathildis of Hanover (b. 1959); married Andreas, 8th Prince of Leiningen, and had issue.
- Prince Heinrich Julius Christian Otto Friedrich Franz Anton Günther of Hanover (b. 1961); married Thyra von Westernhagen and had issue (including a son, Albert, born on the 138th anniversary of the death of his ancestor, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
After Ortrud's death in 1980, her widower husband Ernest Augustus married Ortrud's first cousin once removed, Countess Monika of Solms-Laubach, in 1981.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
These are traditional, rather than legal, styles and titles sometimes used by courtesy.
- 19 December 1925 – 31 August 1951: Her Highness Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
- 31 August 1951 – 30 January 1953: Her Royal Highness Princess Ortrud of Hanover.
- 30 January 1953 – 6 February 1980: Her Royal Highness The Princess of Hanover, Duchess of Brunswick.
National dynastic honour
- House of Hanover: Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Guelphic Order
- Greek Royal Family: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia.
|Ancestors of Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
References and notes
Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Cadet branch of the House of OldenburgBorn: 19 December 1925 Died: 6 February 1980
|Preceded by |
Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia
|Consort of the Head of the House of Hanover |
30 January 1953 – 6 February 1980
|Succeeded by |
Countess Monika of Solms-Laubach