|Birth||January 13, 1933 (Sofia)|
Princess Maria Louise of Bulgaria (Bulgarian: Княгиня Мария Луиза Българска; born 13 January 1933, Sofia) is the daughter of Tsar Boris III and Tsaritsa Ioanna and the older sister of Simeon II of Bulgaria. Her baptism in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church caused controversy at the time.
After the abolition of the monarchy in 1946, Princess Maria Louise left the country with her mother and brother. They first lived in Egypt and then moved to Spain.
Marriage and issue
She married Prince Karl of Leiningen in a civil ceremony on 14 February 1957 in Amorbach and in a religious ceremony on 20 February 1957 in Cannes. The couple had two sons:
- Prince Boris of Leiningen (17 April 1960) married firstly Millena Manov on 14 February 1987; divorced 9 July 1996, with issue. He wed secondly Cheryl Ann Riegler 11 September 1998, with issue
- Prince Hermann Friedrich of Leiningen (16 April 1963) married Deborah Cully 16 May 1987, with issue
Karl and Maria Luisa divorced on 4 December 1968.
On 16 November 1969, she married Bronislaw Tomasz Andrzej Chrobok (27 August 1933 Katowice), in Toronto, Canada. They currently live in New Jersey, and have a daughter and a son:
- Princess Alexandra Nadejda Maria Chrobok of Koháry (born 14 September 1970), married on 8 September 2001 at Cascais, Portugal, Jorge Champalimaud Raposo de Magalhães (born 16 September 1970), a descendant of João de Magalhães 3rd Lord of Ponte da Barca, a 2nd cousin of Ferdinand Magellan, with issue.
- Prince Pawel Alastair Antoni Chrobok of Koháry (born 3 May 1972), married to Ariana Oliver Mas, with issue.
Princess of Koháry
The title "Princess of Koháry" was nominally ceded to Princess Maria-Louise and the children of her second marriage by her brother, the former Simeon II, King of Bulgaria, in 2012.
Princess Maria-Louise is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American University in Bulgaria.
On May 13, 2012, at the 18th commencement ceremony, Princess Maria-Louise received an honorary doctoral degree in Humane Letters from the American University in Bulgaria
In 2001, she visited and toured the church of St John of Rila the Wonderworker in Chicago's Portage Park community area.
Titles, styles, and honours
- Titles and styles
- 13 January 1933 - 14 February 1957: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria
- 14 February 1957 - 4 December 1968: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Louise of Leiningen
- 4 December 1968- 11 June 2012: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria
- 11 June 2012 – Present: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria, Princess of Koháry
- Kingdom of Bulgaria: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius.
- House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha: Knight Grand Cross of the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha Saxe-Ernestine House Order
|Ancestors of Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria|