|Birth||25 January 1860 (Augustenborg Municipality, Sønderborg Municipality, Region of Southern Denmark, Denmark)|
|Death||20 February 1932 (Thumby, Rendsburg-Eckernförde, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)|
Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg (25 January 1860, in Augustenborg, Jutland, Denmark – 20 February 1932, in Grünholz, Schleswig Holstein, Germany) was the second-eldest daughter of Frederick VIII, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein and his wife Princess Adelheid of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
Karoline Mathilde's elder sister, Augusta Viktoria was German Empress and Queen of Prussia as the wife of Wilhelm II, German Emperor. Karoline Mathilde was Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and later Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein as the wife of Friedrich Ferdinand.
Marriage and issue
Karoline Mathilde married Friedrich Ferdinand, the eldest son of Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and Princess Adelheid of Schaumburg-Lippe and a nephew of Christian IX of Denmark, on 19 March 1885 at Primkenau. Friedrich Ferdinand and Karoline Mathilde had six children:
- Princess Victoria Adelaide Helene Luise Marie Friederike of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (31 December 1885 – 3 October 1970)
- Princess Alexandra Viktoria Auguste Leopoldine Charlotte Amalie Wilhelmine of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (21 April 1887 – 15 April 1957)
- Princess Helene Adelheid Viktoria Marie of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1 June 1888 – 30 June 1962)
- Princess Adelheid Luise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (19 October 1889 – 11 June 1964)
- Wilhelm Friedrich Christian Günther Albert Adolf Georg, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein (23 August 1891 – 10 February 1965)
- Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (11 May 1894 – 28 January 1972)
After the overthrow of the Hohenzollern dynasty at the end of World War I, Karoline and her family lived quietly, seldom seen outside Grünholz Castle.
Karoline died on 20 February 1932, aged 72, at their castle. A few years previously, she had suffered an attack of heart disease and never completely recovered. Her husband was the only family member present on her deathbed.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 25 January 1860 – 19 March 1885: Her Serene Highness Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg
- 19 March 1885 – 27 November 1885: Her Highness The Hereditary Princess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
- 27 November 1885 – 27 April 1931: Her Highness The Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
- 27 April 1931 – 20 February 1932: Her Highness The Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein
|Ancestors of Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg|