|Intro||Daughter of Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, born 1899|
|Birth||22 December 1899 (Bad Arolsen)|
|Death||18 February 1948 (Rastede)|
Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (German: Prinzessin Helene Bathildis Charlotte Maria Friederike zu Waldeck und Pyrmont; 22 December 1899 – 18 February 1948) was the only daughter of Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, last reigning Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, and wife of Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg.
Helena was born at Arolsen, Waldeck and Pyrmont the third child and first daughter of Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1865–1946), and his wife, Princess Bathildis of Schaumburg-Lippe (1873–1962), daughter of Wilhelm Karl August, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe. She was a first cousin of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands. She was named after her aunt Princess Helena, Duchess of Albany (1861–1922) who married Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, youngest son of Queen Victoria.
Marriage and family
Helena married on 26 October 1921 in Arolsen, Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg (1897–1970), third child and first son of Frederick Augustus II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg and Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
They had nine children:
- Anton-Günther, Duke of Oldenburg (16 January 1923 – 20 September 2014); married Princess Ameli of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, had issue
- Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg (28 March 1924 – 1 April 1939); died unmarried and without issue
- Duke Peter of Oldenburg (7 August 1926 – 18 November 2016); married Princess Gertrude of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, had issue
- Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg (b. 2 February 1928 - 26 January 2016); married Emich, 7th Prince of Leiningen, had issue
- Duke Egilmar of Oldenburg (b. 14 October 1934 - 2013)
- Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg (b. 11 January 1936); married first Princess Marie Cécile of Prussia, had issue, second Donata Countess of Castell-Rüdenhausen, no issue
- Duchess Altburg of Oldenburg (b. 14 October 1938); married Rüdiger Freiherr von Erffa, had issue
- Duke Huno of Oldenburg (b. 3 January 1940); married Countess Felicitas-Anita of Schwerin von Krosigk, had two daughters including Beatrix von Storch.
- Duke Johann of Oldenburg (b. 3 January 1940); married Ilka Gräfin zu Ortenburg, had issue. His daughter Eilika married Archduke Georg of Austria
She died at the age of 48, her husband married again, two years after her death in 1950 to Anne-Marie von Schutzbar genannt Milchling.
Titles and styles
- 22 December 1899 – 26 October 1921 : Her Serene Highness Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont
- 26 October 1921 – 18 February 1948: Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
- Title in pretence: 24 February 1931 – 18 February 1948: Her Royal Highness The Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
|Ancestors of Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1899–1948)|
Notes and sources
- thePeerage.com - Helene Prinzessin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Princess Helene zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: II 277, 349
Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1899–1948)
House of Waldeck and Pyrmont
Cadet branch of the House of WaldeckBorn: 22 December 1899 Died: 18 February 1948
|Titles in pretence|
|Preceded by |
Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|— TITULAR — |
Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
24 February 1931 – 18 February 1948
Reason for succession failure:
Grand Duchy abolished in 1918
Title next held byAnne-Marie von Schutzbar gennant Milchling