|Intro||Princess of France|
|Birth||11 December 1943, Larache, Larache, Tangier-Tetouan, Morocco|
Princess Claude of Orléans (Claude Marie Agnès Catherine; born 11 December 1943) is a French princess of the House of Orléans. She is the former wife of Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta, a disputed head of the House of Savoy. Claude was the third Orleanist Princess to hold the title Duchess of Aosta.
Princess Claude was born in Larache as the ninth child and fifth daughter of Henri, comte de Paris, Orléanist claimant to the French throne, and his wife Princess Isabelle of Orléans-Braganza.
She is the sister of Prince Henri, Count of Paris, Orleanist pretender to the French throne, as well as Diane, Duchess of Württemberg, and Prince Jacques, Duke of Orléans. They grew up together on an estate outside Lisbon, Portugal.
Marriage and issue
On 22 July 1964 in Sintra, Portugal, Princess Claude married Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta. He was the only son of Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta and Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark. His father had been recognized by some as Tomislav II of Croatia.
At the time of their wedding, Amedeo was a student at the Morosini Naval College in Venice, which his father had also attended. The couple met while attending the wedding of Prince Juan Carlos of Spain and Sofia of Greece and Denmark in May 1962 in Athens. They announced their engagement on 4 October 1963. The couple married in a parish church twelve miles from Lisbon. The wedding had been planned for earlier in the month, but was rescheduled after former king Umberto II of Italy (uncle of the groom) needed time to recover from an abdominal operation. The wedding was attended by 300 guests, including Umberto and Prince Juan Carlos and his wife Princess Sofia.
They had three children together:
- Princess Bianca Irene Olga Elena Isabella Fiorenza Maria (b. 2 April 1966); married Giberto Carbonello Tiberto Maria, Count Arrivabene-Valenti-Gonzaga, and has issue.
- Prince Aimone Umberto Emanuele Filiberto Luigi Amedeo Elena Maria Fiorenzo, Duke of Apulia (b. 13 October 1967); married Princess Olga Isabella of Greece, daughter of Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark, and has issue.
- Princess Mafalda Giovanna Shams Maria Fiorenza Isabella (b. 20 September 1969); married, firstly, Don Alessandro Ruffo di Calabria-Santapau dei principi di Palazzolo (nephew of Queen Paola of Belgium), divorced without issue. Mafalda married, secondly, Francesco Ferrante Carlo Napoleone, 10th Baron Lombardo di San Chirico and has issue.
Amedeo and Claude officially separated from each other 20 July 1976. They received a civil divorce 26 April 1982, and an ecclesiastical annulment from the Roman Rota 8 January 1987. Amedeo remarried to Silvia Paternò di Spedalotto later that year. Claude remarried twice: civilly in 1982 with Arnaldo La Cagnina (divorce in 1996), and both civilly and religiously with Enrico Gandolfi (the religious wedding was celebrated in 2006 in Oreno, in the diocesis of Milan). Enrico died on 27 October 2015 in Laterina.
- 11 December 1943 – 22 July 1964: Her Royal Highness Princess Claude of France
- 22 July 1964 - 26 April 1982: Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Aosta
- 27 April 1982 - 1996: Her Royal Highness Princess Claude, Mme La Cagnina
- 1996 – 13 June 2006: Her Royal Highness Princess Claude d'Orléans
- 14 June 2006 - Present: Her Royal Highness Princess Claude, Mme Gandolfi
|Ancestors of Princess Claude of Orléans|