|Birth||May 4, 1903 (Lindau (Bodensee), Lindau, Swabia, Bavaria)|
|Death||February 8, 1976 (Munich, Upper Bavaria, Bavaria, Germany)|
Princess Anna Monika of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony (Full German name: Prinzessin Anna Monika von Sachsen, Herzogin zu Sachsen) (4 May 1903 – 8 February 1976) was the seventh and youngest child of Frederick Augustus III of Saxony and his wife Archduchess Luise of Austria, Princess of Tuscany and a younger sister of both Georg, Crown Prince of Saxony, and Friedrich Christian, Margrave of Meissen.
While pregnant with Anna, her mother Luise left Saxony on 9 December 1902 without her children. Anna was born in Lindau, Bavaria, during her parents' separation; after the birth, Luise sent the infant to the royal court in Dresden where she was raised with her five siblings by her father Frederick Augustus. It is said that Anna was the daughter of André Giron, her siblings' French tutor with whom her mother briefly lived.
Marriage and issue
Anna married Archduke Joseph Francis of Austria, eldest son of Archduke Joseph August of Austria and his wife Princess Auguste Maria of Bavaria, on 4 October 1926 at Schloss Sibyllenort in Sibyllenort, Silesia, Germany. Anna and Joseph Francis had eight children:
- Archduchess Margarethe of Austria (born 17 August 1925; died 3 May 1979)
- Archduchess Ilona of Austria (born 20 April 1927) married Georg Alexander, Duke of Mecklenburg
- Archduchess Anna-Theresia Gabriella of Austria (born 19 April 1928; died 28 November 1984)
- Archduke Joseph Arpád of Austria (born 8 February 1933)
- Archduke István Dominik Anton Umberto of Austria (born 1 July 1934)
- Archduchess Maria Kynga Beatrix of Austria (born 27 August 1938)
- Archduke Géza Ladislaus of Austria (born 14 November 1940)
- Archduke Michael Koloman of Austria (born 5 May 1942)
Fifteen years after the death of Joseph Francis in Carcavelos, Portugal on 25 September 1957, Anna married Reginald Kazanjian (1905–1990) in a civil ceremony on 28 July 1972 in Geneva, Switzerland, and in a religious ceremony on 9 September 1972 in Veyrier, Switzerland. She died in Munich, Germany, aged 72.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
- 4 May 1903 – 4 October 1926: Her Royal Highness Princess Anna of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony
- 4 October 1926 – 28 July 1972: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Anna Monika, The Archduchess Joseph Francis of Austria, Princess of Saxony
- 28 July 1972 – 8 February 1976: Her Royal Highness Princess Anna of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony
|Ancestors of Princess Anna of Saxony (1903–1976)|