|A.K.A.||Friedrich Prinz zu Schaumburg-Lippe|
|Birth||30 January 1868 (Ratibořice)|
|Death||12 December 1945 (Kudowa-Zdrój)|
Prince Frederick of Schaumburg-Lippe (German: Prinz Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Bruno zu Schaumburg-Lippe; 30 January 1868 – 12 December 1945) was a German prince and head of the Náchod branch of the princely house of Schaumburg-Lippe.
He was a son of Prince William of Schaumburg-Lippe, by his wife Princess Bathildis of Anhalt-Dessau.
Frederick was born at Ratiboritz Castle, Kingdom of Bohemia (now Ratibořice, Czech Republic), the third child and second son of Prince William of Schaumburg-Lippe (1834–1906), (son of George William, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe and Princess Ida of Waldeck and Pyrmont) and his wife, Princess Bathildis of Anhalt-Dessau (1837–1902), (daughter of Prince Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau and Princess Marie Luise Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel).
The marriage was an unhappy one and Princess Louise spent much time visiting her family, staying for 2 to 3 months at a time. Her father also came and visited with her each year.
Princess Louise died at Ratiboritz Castle on 4 April 1906. The official cause of death of Princess Louise was "cerebral inflammation" caused by meningitis, after weeks of being ill. It is rumoured she attempted to drown herself in the castle lake on her husband's estate, Ratiboritz, and caught a chill in the attempt, eventually leading to her death. Frederick and Louise had three children:
- Princess Marie Luise Dagmar Bathildis Charlotte of Schaumburg-Lippe (10 February 1897 – 1 October 1938) She married Prince Friedrich Sigismund of Prussia and had issue. Prince Friedrich died in a riding accident after a fall from his horse.
- Prince Christian Nikolaus Wilhelm Friedrich Albert Ernst of Schaumburg-Lippe (20 February 1898 – 13 July 1974) He married his first cousin, Princess Feodora of Denmark and had issue.
- Princess Stephanie Alexandra Hermine Thyra Xenia Bathildis Ingeborg of Schaumburg-Lippe (19 December 1899 – 2 May 1925). She married Viktor Adolf, 5th Prince of Bentheim und Steinfurt and had two sons: Prince Alexis (30 July 1922 – 2 December 1943, KIA over the Mediterranean), and Prince Christian (b. 9 December 1923). Stephanie died in childbirth with twin boys. Both boys died on 2 May 1925, one stillborn, the other living only a few hours.
Frederick married a second time on 26 May 1909 at Dessau to Princess Antoinette of Anhalt, daughter of Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt and his wife, Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Kassel. Frederick and Antoinette had two sons:
- Prince Leopold Friedrich Alexander Wilhelm Eduard of Schaumburg-Lippe (21 February 1910 - 25 January 2006)
- Prince Wilhelm Friedrich Karl Adolf Leopold Hilderich of Schaumburg-Lippe (24 August 1912 - 4 March 1938)
Titles and styles
- 30 January 1868 – 12 December 1945: His Serene Highness Prince Frederick of Schaumburg-Lippe