|Birth||June 25, 1928|
|Education||University of Oxford|
Peter Hayes Sawyer (born 25 June 1928) is a British historian of Medieval England who is known for his annotated catalogue of Anglo-Saxon charters. Anglo-Saxon charters are referenced by "Sawyer" numbers (abbreviated 'S' as for example in charter "S 407") according to his catalogue.
Sawyer was born in Oxford, England on 25 June 1928, and studied at Oxford University from 1948 to 1951. Sawyer taught at the University of Leeds from 1964, becoming Professor of Medieval History in 1970. He retired early from Leeds in 1982 and was subsequently (in 1998) given the title Emeritus Professor. Sawyer continued his teaching and research at Göteborg University as a docent. Between 1996 and 2006 he worked in Trondheim (where his wife Birgit was a Professor of Medieval History), connected to NTNU, and from 2006 he is living and working in Uppsala.
- Sawyer, Peter (1957–62). Textus roffensis : Rochester cathedral library manuscript A.3.5. Early English manuscripts in facsimile. 7, 11. Copenhagen: Rosenkilde og Bagger. 118+117 pages. OCLC 63444797.
- Sawyer, Peter H (1962). The age of the vikings (1978 2nd ed.). London: E. Arnold. 275 pages. ISBN 9780713158366. OCLC 463278812.
- Sawyer, Peter H (1968). Anglo-saxon charters : an annotated list and bibliography. Guides and handbooks. 8. Royal Historical Society. xiii–538 pages. OCLC 460956.
- Sawyer, Peter H (1978). From Roman Britain to Norman England (1998 2nd ed.). Routledge. xii+322 pages. ISBN 9780203450468. OCLC 52489970.
- Sawyer, Peter H (1979). Charters of Burton Abbey. Anglo-Saxon charters. 2. Oxford University Press for the British Academy. lv–93 pages. ISBN 9780197259405. OCLC 6041283.
- Sawyer, Peter (1985). Kungar och vikingar : Norden och Europa 700-1100 [Kings and Vikings : the Nordic countries and Europe 700-1100]. Panorama (in Swedish). Translated by Erik Frykman. Stockholm: Norstedt. 219 pages. ISBN 9789118436116. OCLC 185803536.
- Sawyer, Peter H (1989). The making of Sweden. Alingsås: Viktoria Bokförlag. iii+60 pages. ISBN 9789186708085. OCLC 21221268.
- Sawyer, Peter; Sawyer, Birgit (1993). Medieval Scandinavia: from conversion to Reformation, circa 800-1500. The Nordic Series. 17. University of Minnesota Press. XVI–265 pages. ISBN 9780816617395. OCLC 489584487.
- Sawyer, Peter H (1997). The Oxford illustrated history of the Vikings. Oxford University Press. XV–298 pages. ISBN 9780198205265. OCLC 751158622.
- Sawyer, Peter (1998). Anglo-Saxon Lincolnshire. Lincoln: History of Lincolnshire Committee for the Society for Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. xv–289 pages. ISBN 9780902668027. OCLC 906849208.
- Sawyer, Peter (2013). The wealth of Anglo-Saxon England. Oxford University Press. xi–155 pages. OCLC 847547281.