|Intro||German actor, film and theatre director, and writer|
|A.K.A.||Paulus Joseph Verhoeven|
|Occupations||Actor Film director Screenwriter Stage actor Film actor|
|Type||Film, Television, Stage and Radio|
|Birth||23 June 1901 (Unna)|
|Death||22 March 1975 (Munich)|
Paul Verhoeven ((1901-06-23)23 June 1901, Unna, Westphalia – 22 March 1975(1975-03-22) (aged 73)) was a German actor, writer, and film and theatre director.
He had 13 siblings and the family lived in modest circumstances.
He directed and acted in over 50 films, and wrote over 20 film scripts, the first of which was Das kleine Hofkonzert in 1935, an operetta with music by Edmund Nick based on a comedy by Verhoeven and Toni Impekoven.
From 1945 to 1948 he was artistic director at the Residenz Theatre/Staatsschauspiel in Munich.
Verhoeven was married to the actress Doris Kiesow, with whom he had three children: Lis Verhoeven, who became an actress and was the first wife of Mario Adorf; Michael Verhoeven, who became a film director and married Senta Berger; and Monika Verhoeven.
By his relationship with the actress Edith Schultze-Westrum he had a son, Thomas Schultze-Westrum, who became a zoologist and maker of animal documentaries.
Verhoeven died on stage in 1975 while he was delivering the eulogy for the recently deceased actress Therese Giehse at the Munich Kammerspiele. He was buried in the Munich Waldfriedhof next to his wife.
- 1936 – Der Kaiser von Kalifornien (dir. Luis Trenker), as Barmixer Billy
- 1938 – The Stars Shine (dir. Hans H. Zerlett), as Gebauer
- 1940 – The Three Codonas (dir. Arthur Maria Rabenalt), as Juwelen-Max
- 1959 - People in the Net
- 1967 – PaarungenMichael Verhoeven), as Edgar (dir.
- 1968 – Ein Mann namens Harry Brent (Durbridge production), (dir. Peter Beauvais), as Samuel Fielding
- 1973 – Oh, Jonathan – oh, Jonathan (dir. Franz Peter Wirth), as Monsignore Berghammer
- 1939 – Renate in the Quartet
- 1939 – Gold in New Frisco
- 1948 – The Court Concert
- 1949 – Du bist nicht allein
- 1950 – Heart of Stone
- 1950 – This Man Belongs to Me
- 1951 – A Heidelberg Romance
- 1952 – That Can Happen to Anyone
- 1953 – Don't Forget Love
- 1954 – Hoheit lassen bitten
- 1954 – A Woman of Today
- 1954 – The Eternal Waltz
- 1956 - " Wie einst Lilli Marlene"
- 1956 – The Golden Bridge
- 1960 – The Juvenile Judge
- 1962 – Her Most Beautiful Day
- 1936 – The Court Concert (dir. Douglas Sirk)