Omi Gurung (born Sandeep Gurung, 24 February 1986), is a well known fashion designer and social entrepreneur from Northeast India. He is popularly known as "The Green Man" of Sikkim.
Gurung was born and brought up in Sikkim. He is the youngest son of R.K. Gurung, former Secretary, Department of Mines, Minerals & Geology, Government of Sikkim and Beena Gurung.
Omi was featured as one of the "DEFENDERS OF THE PLANET EARTH" in 12th anniversary issue (November 2018) of Eclectic Northeast and featured on the cover page of Northeast Today (January 2018) as one of the "THE REIGNING CHAMPIONS". He was listed as one of the top seven well known personalities from Sikkim in the book "Discover India- State by State" published (2018) by Penguin Books. He was also listed as one of the 50 Himalayan Heroes (Coolest People to know in Asia) by Conde Nast Traveller India in its 7th Anniversary Issue (October-November 2017).
He received The Telegraph Northeast Excellence Award 2017 for his outstanding contribution towards the growth and development of the Northeast region of India. He was conferred with Balipara Foundation Young Naturalist Award 2016 for his contribution to sustainable fashion in the Eastern Himalayas. Gurung was one of TEDxTalk speakers for a TEDx event held on 8 October 2017 organised by Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology under the licence of TED, making him the first TEDx speaker from Sikkim.
He has been featured in leading print media in India including The Hindu, DNA, The Times Of India, The Telegraph, The Statesman, Femina, Condenast Traveller India, Business Today, Sanctuary Asia, Eclectic Northeast, The Assam Tribune, Assam Times, Talk Sikkim, Good News Sikkim, Sikkim Insight, Sikkim Express, Sikkim Mail, Summit Times, The New Indian Express, Deccan Herald, Deccan Chronicle, Midday, Vijay Times, Bangalore Mirror, Prajawani, Usha Kiran, Vijaya Next, Udayavani and Sikkim Mail.
Gurung has written on fashion and lifestyle related topics for some of the leading dailies in India and international journals. He carved a niche for himself in the fashion world at a young age. He was a founder of a Bangalore-based social group Oh My India (OMI) which catalysed change in the lifestyle of people in India by creating awareness to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle domestic waste and helping them to get started.
The designer is the owner of Green Gangtok eco-friendly fashion boutique, the first of its kind in Sikkim. The boutique houses an array of fashionable green choices in apparels, accessories and artefacts. The products are natural, upcycled and sustainable and fair. It is his attempt to promote the green trend and propagate sustainable consumption among urban consumers.
He was chosen as "Top Ten Cutest Vegetarian Next Door 2013" by PETA India. He was selected out of thousands of contestants from across India, making him the first cutest vegetarian from the North East to reach the final of the contest organized by People for the Ethical Treatments of Animals (PETA) India.
He was chosen as one of the Coolest North Easterners 2014 by the North East India webzine The Thumb Print as an effort to celebrate achievers from North East India and an exercise to recognise those who inspire others with their works.
Gurung was listed in the top 50 famous Indian fashion designers 2015 by JD Institute of Fashion Technology and as one of the men style icons from the Northeast by Eclectic North East magazine.
Gurung was educated at Holy Cross School in Tadong, Sikkim. He holds a fashion degree from Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology and a postgraduate diploma in journalism from Sri Sri Centre for Media Studies in Bangalore.
Awards and recognition
- Gurung's design collection "Integration- a new identity" won The Most Creative Collection Award at the Vogue Mystique Designer Awards, 2005–2006, which was presented by the film actress, dancer and former MP Vyjayantimala Bali.
- He was a finalist in PETA India’s Cutest Vegetarian Next Door 2013.
- Coolest Northeasterner 2014 (The Thumbprint)
- Young Naturalist Award 2016 (Balipara Foundation)
- The Telegraph Northeast Excellence Award 2017 (The Telegraph, ABP Group)
- One of the heroes (achievers) of Northeast at "Arunodoi Northeast Students and Youth Summit 2017" organized under the aegis of the State Level Advisory Committee for Students and Youth Welfare, Govt of Assam on 17 September 2017 at the IGNCA, New Delhi.
- TEDxTALK speaker at TEDxSMIT event on 8 October 2017 at Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Rangpo.
- Omi was chosen as one of the youth icons of Sikkim by Election Commission of India for General Election 2019 and Lok Sabha Election 2019 to educate and to create awareness among people to cast their vote. 
- He was felicitated with the letter of appreciation by Gurung Community (TAMU CHAWTARI) for his outstanding contribution to the community in Sikkim on 28 April 2019.