Okieriete "Oak" Onaodowan (/ˌɒkɛərˈjɛteɪ/, born August 16, 1987) is an American actor, known for originating the roles of Hercules Mulligan and James Madison in the 2015 musical Hamilton, and the role of Dean Miller in the ABC drama and Grey's Anatomy spin-off series Station 19.
Onaodowan was born in Newark to Nigerian parents. He grew up in West Orange, New Jersey, and graduated from West Orange High School in 2005. Onaodowan briefly played football at West Orange High School but stopped after an injury during practice. As a result of the injury, Okieriete started to explore acting as an alternative extracurricular activity.
Onaodowan had roles in Rocky the Musical and Cyrano de Bergerac on Broadway and was in the ensemble of the first national tour of American Idiot. He had the leading role in Young Jean Lee's 2009 play, The Shipment, and played the title role in J.C. Lee's Luce.
By 2015, Onaodowan was an experienced stage actor. He also had several screen credits, including Lou in Thanks for Sharing, and roles in Gravity and Blue Bloods. He originated the roles of James Madison and Hercules Mulligan in the musical Hamilton on Broadway. He won a Grammy Award as part of the cast album of Hamilton.
On July 11, 2017, he took on the role of Pierre in the musical Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, replacing the outgoing Josh Groban.
In 2018, he began playing the role of firefighter Dean Miller in the Grey's Anatomy spin-off Station 19.
- Langston in Harlem, off-Broadway
- Neighbors, off-Broadway
- The Shipment, off-off-Broadway
- Huntington Theatre Company
- La Jolla Playhouse
- Berkeley Repertory Theatre
- Ragtime, Coalhouse, New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- The Last Days of Judas Iscariot, Pontius Pilate, off-off-Broadway, 2004
- American Idiot, Rock & Roll Boyfriend/Favorite Son (u/s), US Tour, 2011
- Cyrano de Bergerac, Cadet/Pastry Cook/Sentry/Carbon de Castel-Jaloux (u/s)/Cuigy (u/s)/Musketeer (u/s), Broadway, 2012
- Luce, Luce, off-Broadway, 2013
- The Shipment, off-Broadway, 2013
- The Brothers Size, Old Globe Theatre, 2013
- The Royale, Old Globe Theatre, 2014
- Rocky, Dipper Riley/Apollo's Cornerman/Apollo Creed (u/s), Broadway, 2014
- Hamilton, Hercules Mulligan/James Madison
- Off-Broadway, 2015
- Broadway, 2015–16
- Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, Pierre, Broadway, 2017
- Ribbons, Student, 2010 (short film)
- The One You Marry, Scott, 2011 (short film)
- Thanks for Sharing, Lou, 2012
- Person to Person, Lester, 2017
- Hamilton, Hercules Mulligan/James Madison, 2020
- Gravity, Sam, 1 episode, 2010
- NYC 22, Anton Barke, 1 episode, 2012
- Blue Bloods, Damon Williams, 1 episode, 2014
- Ballers, Anthony, 2 episodes, 2016
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Cash Lewis, 1 episode, 2016
- Girls, Raneed, 1 episode, 2017
- The Get Down, Afrika Bambaataa, 3 episodes, 2017
- She's Gotta Have It, Slick Willie, 1 episode, 2017
- Station 19, Dean Miller, Main role, 2018–present
- Grey's Anatomy, Dean Miller, 3 episodes, 2018–2020
- BoJack Horseman, Mike (voice), 1 episode, 2019
- Robot Chicken, Abraham Lincoln, Veloci-Rapper (voice), episode: "Petless M in: Cars Are Couches On The Road", 2020
Awards, nominations and recognition
|2016||Grammy Award||Best Musical Theater Album||Hamilton||Won|
|Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards||Favorite Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
Onaodowan was included in the Forbes 30 Under 30 Hollywood & Entertainment list in 2016 for his acting in Hamilton.