|Birth||5 October 1979|
Nithin Kamath (born October 5, 1979) is an Indian stock broker and Internet entrepreneur known for founding Zerodha, an online-only Indian discount stock brokerage with daily retail trading turnovers crossing $1 billion. He is also the founder of Rainmatter, a Bangalore based financial technology startup fund and incubator.
Nithin Kamath was born into a Konkani family in Shimoga, Karnataka. His father, U.R. Kamath was an executive with the Canara Bank, and his mother, Revathi, taught veena. As a child, he travelled across India following his father's profession, before finally settling in Bangalore in 1996, where he finished his secondary and college education.
Kamath started trading stock markets at the age of 17, when he started managing his father's trading account. After spending considerable time as a professional trader, he worked at a call centre for three years due to the lack of trading capital, before becoming a sub-broker for Reliance Money and finally founding Zerodha in 2010 with his younger brother, Nikhil Kamath.
Awards and recognition
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Emerging Entrepreneur Award.
- In its annual business review, the Economic Times featured Kamath as one of the 10 Indian businessmen to watch out for in 2016, who will be most influential in their respective industries.
- Forbes India 30 under 30, Finance in 2016
- "Use technology to create affordable products, CII chief tells entrepreneurs". BusinessLine. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- "10 businessmen to watch out for in 2016". Economic Times. 2015-12-31. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
Kamath married his wife Seema Patil in 2008. He is an avid poker and basketball player, and a martial arts enthusiast.