Nick Aliotti (born May 29, 1954) is a retired American football coach, who most recently was the defensive coordinator at the University of Oregon.
Early life and playing career
Aliotti grew up in Pittsburg, California, and graduated from Pittsburg High School, after which he enrolled at UC Davis, where he earned three letters as running back and was named MVP of the freshman team in 1972.
After graduation from Davis, Aliotti spent two years as a graduate assistant football coach on Rich Brooks's staff at Oregon, and in 1980, was hired as the running backs coach by new Oregon State coach Joe Avezzano. After four years with the Beavers, Aliotti was hired as offensive coordinator at Chico State. In 1988, he returned to Oregon as linebackers coach, later becoming defensive coordinator.
In 1994, when Oregon head coach Brooks was hired by the St. Louis Rams, Aliotti followed Brooks to the NFL as the Rams' special teams coach. After Brooks's departure from the Rams, Aliotti was the defensive coordinator at UCLA in 1998 before returning to the Ducks in 1999 as the defensive coordinator under head coach Mike Bellotti, a position he held under Bellotti's successor Chip Kelly and under current head coach Mark Helfrich.
Allioti retired following the 2013 Alamo Bowl.
Aliotti is a member of the following coaching trees as an assistant:
- Rich Brooks: Oregon Ducks (1977–1994); St. Louis Rams (1995–1996); Kentucky Wildcats (2003–2009)
- Joe Avezzano: Oregon State Beavers (1980–1984)
- Mike Bellotti: Chico State (1984–1988); Oregon Ducks (1995–2008)
- Bob Toledo: UC Riverside Highlanders (1974–1975); Pacific Tigers (1979–1982); UCLA Bruins (1996–2002); Tulane Green Wave (2007-2011)
- Chip Kelly: Oregon Ducks (2009–2012); Philadelphia Eagles (2013–2015); San Francisco 49ers (2016–present)
- Mark Helfrich: Oregon Ducks (2013–2016)
- Withers, Bud (September 1, 1982). "Another Italian". The Register-Guard. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Nick Aliotti - Oregon Football". Rivals.com. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Brooks fills staff with former coach". The Register-Guard. March 30, 1988. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Nick Aliotti to retire as Oregon defensive coordinator - GoDucks.com - The University of Oregon Official Athletics Web Site". GoDucks.com. Retrieved 2014-08-20.