Neal D. Barnard is an American author, clinical researcher, and founding president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).
Early life and education
Barnard was born in July 1953 and grew up in Fargo, North Dakota. He received his medical training at George Washington University School of Medicine in psychiatry, where he began to explore vegan diets. He is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and a lifetime member of the American Medical Association.
Barnard founded Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) in 1985 because he "wanted to promote preventative medicine." By 2016, the Washington D.C.-based PCRM had 150,000 members, including 12,000 physicians and reported revenues of more than $20 million. Barnard has written for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and is often cited by the organization. He appeared in the 2011 documentary feature film Forks Over Knives, a film that traces the careers of T. Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn.
Barnard serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine. He founded the Barnard Medical Center in 2015 as part of PCRM, and it opened in 2016 with him as president; the center provides primary care and emphasizes diet and preventative medicine.
Barnard is a non-practicing psychiatrist. He plays cello, guitar, and keyboards, and has been in bands Pop Maru, Verdun, and Carbonworks.
In 2011, Barnard was inducted into the Vegetarian Hall of Fame of the North American Vegetarian Society during its summer conference, where he has occasionally spoken.
- Lifestyle Medicine Trailblazer Award, 2016 from The American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM)
- 6th Plantrician Project Luminary Award, 2019 - from The Plantrician Project
- Barnard ND, Willett WC, Ding EL. "The misuse of meta-analysis in nutrition research." JAMA. 2017; 318(15):1435-1436..
- Barnard ND, Katz DL. "Building on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program’s Success: Conquering Hunger, Improving Health." Am J Prev Med. 2017;52(2S2):S103-S105.
- Barnard ND, Levin SM, Yokoyama Y. "A systematic review and meta-analysis of changes in body weight in clinical trials of vegetarian diets." J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015 Jun;115(6):954-69.
- Barnard ND, Bush AI, Ceccarelli A, de Jager CA, Erickson KI, Fraser G, Kesler S, Levin SM, Lucey B, Morris MC, Squitti R. "Dietary and lifestyle guidelines for the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease." Neurobiol Aging. 2014;35 Suppl 2:S74-8.
- Barnard ND, Cohen J, Jenkins DJ, Turner-McGrievy G, Gloede L, Green A, Ferdowsian H. "A low-fat vegan diet and a conventional diabetes diet in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled, 74-week clinical trial." Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89(suppl):1588S-96S.
- Barnard ND, Cohen J, Jenkins DJ, Turner-McGrievy G, Gloede L, Jaster B, Seidl K, Green AA, Talpers S. "A low-fat, vegan diet improves glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in a randomized clinical trial in individuals with type 2 diabetes." Diabetes Care 2006;29:1777-1783.
- Barnard ND. The Power of Your Plate (1990: Book Publishing Co., Summertown, TN) ISBN 157067003X
- Barnard ND. A Physician's Slimming Guide (1992: Book Publishing Co., Summertown, TN) ISBN 0913990914
- Barnard ND. Food for Life (1993: Harmony/Random House, New York, NY) ISBN 0517882019
- Barnard ND. Eat Right, Live Longer (1995: Harmony/Random House, New York, NY) ISBN 0517799502
- Barnard ND. Foods that Cause You to Lose Weight (1992: The Magni Group, McKinney, TX) ISBN 0062570366 Barnard ND. Foods that Cause You to Lose Weight II (1996: The Magni Group, McKinney, TX) ISBN 188233048X
- Barnard ND (ed.) The Best in the World, volume I (1998), volume II (2000), volume III (2010), and volume IV (2014), (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Washington, DC). ISBN 1935535013
- Barnard ND. Foods That Fight Pain (1998: Harmony/Random House, New York, NY) ISBN 0609600982
- Barnard ND. Turn off the Fat Genes (2001: Harmony/Random House, New York, NY) ISBN 0609809040
- Barnard ND. Breaking the Food Seduction (2003: St. Martin’s Press, New York, NY) ISBN 0312314949
- Barnard ND. Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. (2007, revised edition 2018: Rodale, Emmaus, PA) ISBN 1594868107
- Barnard ND, Weissinger R, Jaster BJ, Kahan S, Smyth C. A Nutrition Guide for Clinicians. 1st edition 2007 ISBN 0966408152; 2nd edition 2009 ISBN 0966408179; 3rd edition 2018 (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Washington, DC)
- Barnard ND and Reilly J. The Cancer Survivor's Guide (2008: Healthy Living Publications, Summertown, TN) ISBN 1570672253
- Barnard ND and Webb R. The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook (2010: Da Capo, New York). ISBN 0738213586
- Barnard ND. 21-Day Weight-Loss Kickstart (2011: Grand Central, New York). ISBN 0446583820
- Barnard ND. Power Foods for the Brain (2013: Grand Central, New York). ISBN 1455512206
- Barnard ND. The Cheese Trap (2017: Grand Central, New York). ISBN 1455594687
- Barnard ND. Dr. Neal Barnard's Cookbook for Reversing Diabetes (2018: Rodale, Emmaus, PA).ISBN 1623369290