Nadine Rena Caron FACS, FRCSC, (born 1970), is a Canadian surgeon. She is notable for being the first Canadian female general surgeon of First Nations descent (Ojibway) as well as the first female First Nations student to graduate from University of British Columbia's medical school.
Early life and education
Caron was born and grew up in Kamloops, British Columbia to Ojibwe mother, a teacher, and a father, a mason, who emigrated from Italy. She completed her BSc in Kinesiology at Simon Fraser University in 1993, where she was also a star basketball player and the winner of numerous awards, including the Shrum Gold Medal, awarded to the top undergraduate student. While completing her MD at the UBC Faculty of Medicine, Caron was again recognized as being the top ranked student. Caron also completed an MA in Public Health from Harvard University, while completing her surgical residency, as well as a postgraduate fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco, focused on endocrine surgical oncology. In June 2017, she received an honorary Doctorate of Laws from the University of the Fraser Valley. In October 2019, she received an honorary degree from Simon Fraser University.
Caron works as a general endocrine surgeon at Prince George Regional Hospital. She is an Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery, UBC Faculty of Medicine, and was appointed Co-Director of UBC's Centre for Excellence in Indigenous Health in 2014. She received the 2016 Dr. Thomas Dignan Indigenous Health Award from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Caron was rewarded for public health studies concerning Rural and First Nations populations. Caron leads the Northern Biobank Project, which will improve patients' access to participate in personalized medicine research in northern British Columbia. Caron currently works as an associate faculty member at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Caron, Nadine; Pasieka, Janice (2009). "What Symptom Improvement Can Be Expected After Operation for Primary Hyperparathyroidism?". World Journal of Surgery. 33 (11): 2244–2255. doi:10.1007/s00268-009-9987-4. ISSN 0364-2313. PMID 19288279.
- Caron, Nadine; Clark, Orlo (2006). "Papillary thyroid cancer". Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 7 (4): 309–319. doi:10.1007/s11864-006-0040-7. ISSN 1527-2729. PMID 16916491.
- Caron, Nadine R.; Clark, Orlo H. (August 2006). "Papillary thyroid cancer". Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 7 (4): 309–319. doi:10.1007/s11864-006-0040-7.
- Caron, Nadine R.; Sturgeon, Cord; Clark, Orlo H. (August 2004). "Persistent and recurrent hyperparathyroidism". Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 5 (4): 335–345. doi:10.1007/s11864-004-0024-4.
- Tan, Yah Yuen; Ogilvie, Jennifer B.; Triponez, Frederick; Caron, Nadine R.; Kebebew, Electron K.; Clark, Orlo H.; Duh, Quan-Yang (May 2006). "Selective Use of Adrenal Venous Sampling in the Lateralization of Aldosterone-producing Adenomas". World Journal of Surgery. 30 (5): 879–885. doi:10.1007/s00268-005-0622-8. PMID 16680603.
- Triponez, Frederic; Wong, Mariwil; Sturgeon, Cord; Caron, Nadine; Ginzinger, David G.; Segal, Mark R.; Kebebew, Electron; Duh, Quan-Yang; Clark, Orlo H. (May 2006). "Does Familial Non-Medullary Thyroid Cancer Adversely Affect Survival?". World Journal of Surgery. 30 (5): 787–793. doi:10.1007/s00268-005-0398-x. PMID 16479341.
- Scudamore, Charles H.; Erb, Siegfried R.; Morris, Chris; Hemming, Alan; Poostizadeh, Ahmad; Buczkowski, Andrzej K.; Caron, Nadine (May 1996). "Medium aperture meso-caval shunts reliably prevent recurrent variceal hemorrhages". The American Journal of Surgery. 171 (5): 490–494. doi:10.1016/S0002-9610(97)89610-9. ISSN 0002-9610. PMID 8651392.
- Sippel, Rebecca S.; Caron, Nadine R.; Clark, Orlo H. (May 2007). "An Evidence-based Approach to Familial Nonmedullary Thyroid Cancer: Screening, Clinical Management, and Follow-up". World Journal of Surgery. 31 (5): 924–933. doi:10.1007/s00268-006-0847-1. PMID 17429563.
- Clarkson, Adam F.; Christian, Wayne M.; Pearce, Margo E.; Jongbloed, Kate A.; Caron, Nadine R.; Teegee, Mary P.; Moniruzzaman, Akm; Schechter, Martin T.; Spittal, Patricia M. (2015). "The Cedar Project: Negative health outcomes associated with involvement in the child welfare system among young Indigenous people who use injection and non-injection drugs in two Canadian cities". Canadian Journal of Public Health. 106 (5): e265–e270. doi:10.17269/cjph.106.5026. ISSN 0008-4263. PMC 6972141. PMID 26451986.
- Olson, R. A.; Nichol, A.; Caron, N. R.; Olivotto, I. A.; Speers, C.; Chia, S.; Davidson, A.; Coldman, A.; Bajdik, C.; Tyldesley, S. (2012). "Effect of Community Population Size on Breast Cancer Screening, Stage Distribution, Treatment Use and Outcomes". Canadian Journal of Public Health. 103 (1): 46–52. doi:10.1007/BF03404068. JSTOR 41995705. PMC 6973821. PMID 22338328.
- Martin, Danielle; Miller, Ashley P.; Quesnel-Vallée, Amélie; Caron, Nadine R; Vissandjée, Bilkis; Marchildon, Gregory P. (April 2018). "Canada's universal health-care system: achieving its potential". The Lancet. 391 (10131): 1718–1735. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30181-8. ISSN 0140-6736. PMC 7138369. PMID 29483027.
- Martin, Danielle; Adams, Evan; Caron, Nadine R (December 2018). "Canada's global leadership and Indigenous people – Authors' reply". The Lancet. 392 (10162): 817–34. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32747-8. PMID 19709728.
- Sarfati, Diana; Garvey, Gail; Robson, Bridget; Moore, Suzanne; Cunningham, Ruth; Withrow, Diana; Griffiths, Kalinda; Caron, Nadine R.; Bray, Freddie (May 2018). "Measuring cancer in indigenous populations". Annals of Epidemiology. 28 (5): 335–342. doi:10.1016/j.annepidem.2018.02.005. ISSN 1047-2797. PMID 29503062.
- Besserer, Floyd A.; Caron, Nadine R. (December 2013). "Patterns of Outdoor Recreational Injury in Northern British Columbia". Wilderness & Environmental Medicine. 24 (4): 397–401. doi:10.1016/j.wem.2013.04.004. ISSN 1080-6032. PMID 24075058.
- Caron, Nadine R.; Clark, Orlo H. (August 2005). "Papillary thyroid cancer: Surgical management of lymph node metastases". Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 6 (4): 311–322. doi:10.1007/s11864-005-0035-9. PMID 15967084.
- Kornelsen, Jude; Iglesias, Stuart; Humber, Nancy; Caron, Nadine; Grzybowski, Stefan (2012). "GP Surgeons' Experiences of Training in British Columbia and Alberta: A Case Study of Enhanced Skills for Rural Primary Care providers". Canadian Medical Education Journal. 3 (1): e33–e41. PMC 4563642. PMID 26451170.