|Birth||1 January 1961|
|Education||University at Buffalo, The State University of New York|
Murat Soygeniş (born 1961), a Founding Principal of S+ Architecture, is an internationally known professor and architect. He is known with his contributions to architecture, planning, design, theoretical writing and teaching.
Born in Ankara, he studied architecture in Istanbul and the University at Buffalo (SUNY). He worked as a licensed architect in USA before he co-founded own architectural studio, S+ Architecture, in 1990. His work includes both industrial and residential projects, as well as urban design projects, sustainable design, proposals for post-disaster housing, and furniture design.
Soygeniş has given numerous lectures in many countries and participated in exhibitions and juries. His projects have been exhibited at American Institute of Architects in Baltimore (1990, 2002, 2015), School of Architecture and Planning Gallery at the University at Buffalo (2002), the Polytechnic University of Turin (2007), the Milan Build Up Expo (2007), the House of Architects in Moscow (2008) and in many cities in Turkey throughout the years. He is the author of numerous books and articles including Platform for Architecture (Rome: Aracne, 2011), Utopias for Istanbul (Rome: Aracne, 2011), Yapi 1-2-3-4 (Istanbul: Birsen Yayinevi, 2005), Mimarlik: Yasamin icinden / Architecture: Through life (İstanbul: Birsen Yayinevi, 2012) and Istanbul: Bir Kent Yorumu/An Urban Commentary (İstanbul: Birsen Yayinevi, 2006). He has been a professor at YTU, and served as Dean of School of Architecture from 2010-2014. His approach to architecture was reviewed in the Middle East Journal as "defining the purpose of architecture as that of creating space for a designated function. Sema and Murat Soygeniş examine interior and exterior space, simple and innovative detailing and the advancement of quality and functionality." He is member of many organizations including the UIA Chamber of Architects, the American Institute of Architects (Director - Southern Europe Section of AIA Europe: 2011-2012), and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), also professionally registered as architect by State of Maryland.
S+ ARCHITECTURE's work include industrial plants, houses, post-disaster housing proposals, urban design projects and furniture design. Common design denominator of all projects regardless of scale is the impetus to emphasize components and hardware of each designed product by careful application of color, innovative detailing and use of ordinary materials. At first look, every designed product – an urban design project, a small-size, renovated interior space or storage unit - displays its prominent parts. Details of an industrial plant with hundreds of squaremeters of area or aluminum plate, bolt, washer and nut holding doors of a small storage unit all brought together meticulously.
Textile Chemicals Plant in Istanbul
House on Bosphorus
Various personal and group exhibition of architectural work in USA, Europe and Turkey.
Projects were on display in Baltimore, Buffalo, Philadelphia, New York and throughout Turkey, 1981-today
- Baltimore American Institute of Architects, Architects' Gallery, 1990, 2002, 2015
- University at Buffalo, School of Architecture and Planning, 2002
- Polytechnic University of Turin, School of Architecture, 2007
- Milan Build Up Expo, 2007
- 20th Century Turkish Architecture, House of Architects Moscow, 2008
Exhibition at AIA Baltimore Gallery, 1990
- Yapi 2 (Building Construction 2), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2000.
- Yapi 3 (Building Construction 3), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2002.
- Yapi 4 (Building Construction 4), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2003.
- Yapi 1-2-3-4 (with Sedad H. Eldem), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2005.
- Istanbul Bir Kent Yorumu / An Urban Commentary (with Sema Soygenis), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2006.
- Turkiye'de Mimarlik (Architecture in Turkey), Canakkale Seramik Kalebodur, Istanbul, 2007.
- Platform for Architecture (with Peter Cook), Aracne, Rome (Italy), May 2011.
- Utopias for Istanbul (with Peter Cook), Aracne, Rome (Italy), May 2011.
- Mimarlik: Yasamin icinden (Architecture: Through life), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2012.
- Altinok, S. (Ed.), Sema-Murat Soygenis / Buildings and Projects 1982-1997, Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 1997.
- Adali, S. (Ed.), Yildiz Bulusmasi: Mimarlik Uygulamalari Tartismasi (Yildiz Meetings: Discussions on Architectural Work), Tasarim Yayin Grubu, Istanbul, 1999.
- Soygenis, M., Tumertekin, H., and others, Ucuncu Mesaj / Third Message, Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2000.
- Adali, S. (Ed.), Yildiz Bulusmasi 2001 (Yildiz Meetings 2001), Birsen Yayinevi, Istanbul, 2001.
- Yuksel, E. (Ed.), Sema-Murat Soygenis / Buildings + Projects 2 (Giris / Introduction U. Alsac), Birsen Yayin, Istanbul, 2003.
- Adali, S. (Ed.), Yildiz Bulusmasi 04 (Yildiz Meetings 04), Betonart, Istanbul, 2004.
- Adali, S. (Ed.), bulusmalar 06 meetings / Suha Ozkan - Introduction, Canakkale Seramik Kalebodur, Istanbul, 2007.
- Barbano, G. (Ed.), Architetti 'americani' in Europa - AIA Continental Europe, Aracne, Rome, 2007.
- Soygenis, M., Ozkan, S., et al., Sedat Gurel Projeleri ve Yasami / Projects and Life, Sedat Guzin Gurel Sanat ve Bilim Vakfi, Istanbul, 2008.
- Celik, B. (Ed.), Cifteler kayitlari (Cifteler records), MAT Yapim, Istanbul, 2009.