Muhammad Asadullah Al-Ghalib (Arabic: د.محمد اسد الله الغالب; Bengali: ড. মুহাম্মাদ আসাদুল্লাহ আল-গালিব; born 15 January 1948) is a Bangladeshi reformist Islamic scholar and former professor of Arabic at the University of Rajshahi. He is the leader of a puritan Islamic movement Ahlehadeeth Andalon Bangladesh (AHAB). He is also the founder of a popular Islamic research journal of Bangladesh, Monthly At-tahreek.
On 23 February 2005, Bangladesh government arrested him following allegations of leading the Islamic militants. He was further alleged to have received funding from the Society of the Revival of Islamic Heritage. However, he denied any sort of involvement with Islamic militancy and got freed from jail on 28 August 2008. Finally, he received acquittal from all the charges.
Early life and education
Muhammad Asadullah Al-Ghalib was born in 1948 in the village Bularati, located in Satkhira District, Bangladesh. His mother is Basirun(1984 A.D) and his father Ahmad Ali (1883-1976 A.D) was an Islamic scholar and leader of the Ahlehadeeth.
He passed the Dakhil, Alim and Fazil public examinations from Kakdanga Senior Madrasha, Satkhira, Bangladesh. In 1969 he passed the Kamil (Muhaddith) Examination from Aramnagar Alia Madrasa, Jamalpur, Bangladesh. He passed all examinations in the First Division. He secured the 16th place in Alim and 5th place in Kamil examination of the then Madrasha Education Board of the East Pakistan.
He got his I.A. from Kalaroa, Govt. College, Satkhira, Bangladesh; B.A. from Majid Memorial City College, Khulna, Bangladesh and in 1976 M.A. in Arabic from the department of Arabic at the University of Dhaka, securing First Class First position. Lastly, he got Ph.D. Degree from the University of Rajshahi on 20 August 1992 by submitting a dissertation on 'Ahl-i-Hadeeth Movement: Origin and the Development; with special reference to South Asian region.'
He served as a teacher in Jamia Muhammdia Arabia Madrasha at North Jatrabari, Dhaka. After passing the M.A. examination, he joined the "Institute of Modern Languages" at the University of Dhaka, as a part-time Lecturer on 25 September 1980.
The same year on 10 December, he joined as a Lecturer of Arabic and Islamic Studies in University of Rajshahi. When the department was separated in 1995, he remained in the department of Arabic until his retirement as a professor in 2016. He attended many international seminars and conferences as a guest speaker in different countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates.
He founded various religious, educational and non-profit social welfare organizations in Bangladesh.
- Ahlehadeeth Andolon Bangladesh (Ahlehadeeth Movement Bangladesh) – A national based Ahlehadeeth organisation, Founded on Friday, 23 September 1994.
- Bangladesh Ahlehadeeth Jubo Shangha – A youth's wing of Ahlehadeeth Movement Bangladesh, founded on 5 February 1978.
- Bangladesh Ahlehadeeth Mahilla Songstha - A ladie's wing of Ahlehadeeth Movement Bangladesh, Founded on 7 June 1981.
- Tawheed Trust (Regd) – A registered non-profit social welfare well-known organization, which is based in Rajshahi, Bangladesh, opened on 5 September 1989.
- Salafiyah Trust (Regd) - A registered social welfare organization, founded in 2002.
- Hadeeth Foundation Bangladesh – A renowned Islamic research foundation with Darul Ifta and publishing house, founded on 15 November 1992.
- Islamic Complex - Founded in 2010.
- Monthly at-Tahreek – An Islamic research journal, is directed to Salafi path, based on pure Tawheed and Saheeh (authentic) Sunnah, that presenting the real teaching of the Quran and authentic Hadith; first published on September 1997.
- Sonamoni - A children's Wing of Ahlehadeeth Movement Bangladesh, founded in 1994.
- Pather Alo Foundation - A national based project for orphans, sightless, disabled and neglected people, founded in 2009.
- ": Probenews :". Web.archive.org. 2012-03-24. Archived from the original on 2012-03-24. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
in 2005, in conjunction with the protests led by the chief cleric, Ubaidul Haq, he led a huge protests in Rajshahi to condemn the series bombings.
He wrote various books on different subjects including religion, education, society, politics and literature. His research articles in various languages, published in different journals and periodicals at home and abroad, are more than 500. Alongside them, he supervised many academic research works. His published books number over 40. He is known for the meticulous research behind his works.
List of works
- Tafsirul Quran (The Interpretation of the Glorious Quran) - 2013
- Seeratur Rasul (SM) - March 2015. It is a full biography of Prophet Muhammad (SM)
- Ahleadeeth Movement: Origin and the Development; with special reference to South Asian region (Ph.D Thesis) - February 1996
- Ahlehadeeth Andolon: Ki O Keno (Ahlehadeeth Andolon:What and Why) [Bangla] - July 1979
- Ahlehadeeth Andolon: What and Why (English) - 2012
- Daa'wat o Jihad - March 1993
- Masail-I Qurbani O 'Aakika - July 1987
- Milad Prasongga - October 1986
- Shobe Barat - March 1990
- AARbi Qaedah - March 1997
- Salatur Rasul (SM) (Bangla) - 1998
- Salatur Rasul (SM) (English) - 2010
- Talaq O Tahlil - February 2001
- Hajj O Umrah (Hajj and Umrah) - November 2001
- Aakida Islamiah - March 2000
- Udatto Aahban (The Clarion Call) - March 1993
- Islami khilafat o Nettritto Nirbachon - March 2003
- Iqamate Din: Path o Paddhoti - March 2004
- Hadeeth-er Pramanikota - March 2004
- Aasurae Muharram o Aamader Karanio - March 2004
- Shamaj Biplober Dhara - November 1986
- Tinti Motobad - January 1987
- Naitik vitti O Prastabana - March 1993
- Dhormoniropekkhota (Secularism) - 1996
- Insane Kamel (The Perfect Person) - February 2009
- Sabi O Murti (Images and Idolls) - January 2010
- Nobider Kahini - 1 (The Lives of Prophets - 1) - March 2010
- Nobider Kahini - 2 (The Lives of Prophets - 2) - December 2010
- Naiti Prasner Uttar (Nine Questions and It's Answers) - [Translated from Arabic] August 2010
- Jihad o Qital (Jihad and War) - 2013
- Firqah Najiah - 2013
- Jibon Darshan (Horizons of Life) - 2013. It is a selected editorial collection of him regarding various aspects of human life, that published in the Monthly At-tahreek in different times.
- Dik Darshan (Horizons of Life) - 2016. An another set of selected editorials of Galib, regarding religion, education, society, literature, culture, politics, economics and various national and Global issues, including the Muslim world. These editorials was published in the Monthly At-tahreek in different times.
- "SALATUR RASOOL (SM) -Information about Salat". Salatenglish.at-tahreek.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- নবীদের কাহিনী- মুহাম্মাদ আসাদুল্লাহ আল-গালিব. Nobiderkahini.at-tahreek.com (in Bangla). Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- আহলেহাদীছ আন্দোলন বাংলাদেশ - প্রকাশনা কার্যক্রম. Ahlehadeethbd.org (in Bangla). Retrieved 2016-02-02.