Mišel Matičević ([miˈʃɛl maˈtitʃɛvitʃ], born 22.04.1970) is a Croatian-German film, television and theater actor. He is frequently cast as "tough guy" roles.
Early life and education
Matičević was born in West Berlin to Croatian parents who were guest workers in West Germany. Following his parents' divorce, he lived with his mother in Berlin-Spandau. He was initially a trouble maker in childhood and would get in fist fights at school. He refused to join the school's theater group, feeling it was only for kids who were trying to "suck up" to the teachers. However, Matičević saw the 1983 film Danton with Gérard Depardieu and was inspired by Depardieu's performance to become an actor.
He studied acting 1994 to 1998 at the prestigious Academy for Film and Television (Hochschule für Film und Fernsehen) or Filmuniversität Babelsberg in Potsdam. While studying, he performed with the Berliner Ensemble at the Deutsches Theater in Berlin and the Kleist Theater in Frankfurt Oder.
Since 1996, Matičević has acted in several crime series and films for the German TV and cinema. He was awarded the Best Actor Award at the 2000 Thessaloniki International Film Festival for his performance in Lost Killers (1999).
He was the synchronous voice of Marton Csokas (Yorgi) in the German version of xXx - Triple X in 2002.
His first international role was in the TNT miniseries The Company (2006), a series about the CIA in which he played a (fictional) Hungarian poet called Arpad Zelk, a leader of the Hungarian uprising in 1956.
Since 2014, Matičević has been the ambassador of Deutschlandstiftung Integration (Germany Integration Foundation), which promotes and celebrates ethnic diversity in Germany, to support the children of guest workers. He says, "Guest worker children have always existed and will always exist. I deliberately don't say migrants, but guest worker children, because I am also a guest worker child and have learned so much. I just do not like the term migrant. And I'm glad to be able to pass on some of my knowledge and experience."
- Müde Weggefährten (1996)
- Gierig (1997)
- Wege in die Nacht (1998)
- Tatort – Berliner Weiße (1998)
- Lost Killers (2000)
- Operation Rubikon (2002)
- Detective Lovelorn und die Rache des Pharao (2002)
- Die Eltern der Braut (2003)
- Hotte im Paradies (2003)
- Sehnsucht (2004)
- Kalter Frühling (2004)
- Heimkehr (2004)
- Das Zimmermädchen und der Millionär (2004)
- Emilia – Die zweite Chance (2005)
- Emilia – Familienbande (2005)
- Die Luftbrücke – Nur der Himmel war frei (2005)
- K3 – Kripo Hamburg: Fieber (2005)
- Eine Stadt wird erpresst (2006)
- Dornröschen erwacht (2006)
- Blackout – Die Erinnerung ist tödlich TV miniseries (2006)
- The Company TV miniseries (2007)
- Tatort – Bienzle und die große Liebe (2007)
- Die dunkle Seite (2007)
- Das Gelübde (2007)
- Zodiak – Der Horoskopmörder TV miniseries (2007)
- Die Todesautomatik (2007)
- A Year Ago in Winter (2008)
- Effi Briest (2009)
- In the Shadows (2010)
- Kokowääh (2011)
- My Beautiful Country (2012)
- The King's Surrender (2014)
- Babylon Berlin (2017)
- Dogs Of Berlin (2018)