Miriam Meckel, (born July 18, 1967), is a German journalist and professor for Corporate Communication, editor and publisher of the German magazine Wirtschaftswoche and Director of the Institute for Media and Communication Management at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland.
In November 2014, Miriam Meckel was appointed editor-in-chief of Germany's leading business weekly Wirtschaftswoche, as the first woman to hold that position. In April 2017, she became the Publisher of the magazine.
From 2001-2005, Miriam Meckel served as the State Secretary at the department of the Premier of the German State of North Rhine-Westphalia and government spokeswoman, later on the State Secretary for Europe, International Affairs and Media. From 1999 to 2001 she was a professor for Communication Sciences at the University of Münster in Germany. Her publications include texts on media economics, communication and cyberpolitics - in 2010 she wrote about her experience with burn-out syndrome. Her book became the basis for an award-winning television movie in 2016.
As a member of international jury of the Development Gateway Foundation of the World Bank she was instrumental in designing the Development Gateway Award (Petersberg Prize).
In November 2001 Meckel received the Cicero Award for best speech in the academia category.
- 1994: Fernsehen ohne Grenzen? Europas Fernsehen zwischen Integration und Segmentierung
- 1996: Internationale Kommunikation - eine Einführung
- 1998: Fernsehnachrichten. Strukturen, Funktionen, Prozesse
- 1999: Redaktionsmanagement. Ansätze aus Theorie und Praxis
- 1999: with Klaus Kamps, Patrick Rössler and Werner Gephart: Medien-Mythos? Die Inszenierung von Prominenz und Schicksal am Beispiel von Diana Spencer
- 2000: with Marianne Ravenstein: Cyberworlds. Computerwelten der Zukunft
- 2001: Die globale @genda. Kommunikation und Globalisierung
- 2005: Cyberpolitics and Cyberpolity, Zur Virtualisierung politischer Kommunikation
- 2007: Das Glück der Unerreichbarkeit, Wege aus der Kommunikationsfalle
- 2010: Brief an mein Leben: Erfahrungen mit einem Burnout
- 2011: 'NEXT - Erinnerungen an eine Zukunft ohne uns'
Meckel lives in St. Gallen, Switzerland and Berlin, Germany. She was married to Anne Will, a German television journalist from 2016 to 2019.