Michael Müller (born 9 December 1964 in West Berlin) is a German politician of the SPD. He has been the Mayor of Berlin since 11 December 2014.
Müller was a SPD delegate to the Federal Convention for the purpose of electing the President of Germany in 2004, 2009 and 2012.
Following the 2011 state elections in Berlin, Müller served as Senator for Urban Development and the Environment from 1 December 2011 to 11 December 2014. His most extensive project were the plans to build business space and apartments on the former Tempelhof Airport, which were rejected in 2014 by a clear majority of the citizens of Berlin via referendum. He was Chairman of the parliamentary group of the SPD in the Abgeordnetenhaus of Berlin from June 2011 to November 2011 and State Chairman of the SPD from 20 June 2004 to 9 June 2012.
In December 2014, Müller took over in midterm from incumbent Klaus Wowereit, Berlin’s longest serving mayor since reunification in 1990, who presided over the city's emergence as a popular tourist destination and center for high-tech startups but stepped down after his popularity suffered from the debacle around the Berlin Brandenburg Airport. Müller had previously made a surprise entry into the race to succeed Wowereit and defeated two candidates initially seen as the most likely successors. Müller's term run until late 2016, when Berlin held new elections.
As one of the state's representatives at the Bundesrat, Müller serves on the Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Committee on European Affairs and on the Committee on Cultural Affairs.
- Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg GmbH, Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- Stiftung Preußische Seehandlung, Ex-Officio Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Topography of Terror Foundation, Chairman
- Development and Peace Foundation (SEF), Deputy Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Association of German Cities, Ex-Officio Member of the Presidium
- American Academy in Berlin, Honorary Trustee
- Aspen Institute Berlin, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Cultural Foundation of the German States (KdL), Ex-Officio Member of the Council
- Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin (DKB), Member of the Board of Trustees
- Deutsches Museum, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Council for Christian-Jewish Cooperation in Berlin, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Literarisches Colloquium Berlin, Member of the Board of Trustees