Mauro Nespoli (born 22 November 1987) is an Italian archer.
Nespoli was born in Voghera (Province of Pavia), the place where he has always lived. He first saw some archers when he was nine, while he was spending his holidays in Aprica (Sondrio). His coach is Luciano Malovini, who was an archer of the Paralympic Italian National Team. In spite of his agonistic training and events, Nespoli could achieve good marks at school. He got his graduation Diploma in 2006 and he is now attending university, in Pavia, studying Computer Engineering.
He won his first gold medal in the Italian "Giochi della Gioventù" (Youth Games) in 1998. When he was only fourteen, in 2002, was convened in the Italian Junior National Team for the first time. Since 2006 he is a member of the Italian Senior National Team, together with Marco Galiazzo and Michele Frangilli. In his brief sport career, Nespoli have already twenty participations in International Competitions with the Italian National Team and several records too.
At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing Nespoli finished his ranking round with a total of 649 points. This gave him the 44th seed for the final competition bracket in which he faced Alan Wills in the first round. Wills won the match 103–99 and went on to reach the third round in which he lost to Juan Carlos Stevens.
Together with Marco Galiazzo and Ilario Di Buò he also took part in the team event. With his 649 score from the ranking round combined with the 667 of Galiazzo and the 670 of Di Buò the Italians were in sixth position after the ranking round. In the first round they were too strong for the Canadian team 219–217. They advanced to the semi final by eliminating Malaysia 218–213. After that they reached the final by beating Ukraine 223–221. In the final they managed to get 225 points, but South Korea took the gold medal with 227 points.
|World Records |
|European Records |
|Italian Records |
|Italian Records |
|14 November 2004 |
25m – 582 Points
2–5 June 2003
|25 April 2003 |
70m – 640 Points
|16 October 2005 |
Castel D'Ario, Italy
25+18m – 1156 Points
|22 April 2007 |
90m – 329 Points
- 1 Gold Team medal in the World Cup;
- 1 Silver Team medal in the Indoor World Championship;
- 1 Bronze Team medal in the Outdoor World Championship;
- 1 Bronze Team medal in the Outdoor European Championship;
- 1 Gold Individual medal in the Outdoor European Junior Cup;
- 3 Bronze Team medals in the Outdoor European Junior Cup;
- 1 Bronze Individual medal in the Outdoor European Junior Cup;
- 5 Gold Individual medals in the Indoor/Outdoor Italian Championship;
- 1 Gold Team medal in the Indoor Italian Championship 2003;
- 1 Silver Individual medal in the Outdoor Italian Championship 2007;
- 2 Silver Individual medals in the Italian Indoor Championship 2008;
- 1 Gold medal in the Nîmes European Archery Tournament (Indoor) 2007.
- 1 Gold Team medal in the London Olympic Games 2012;