Martin J. Eppler
Martin J. Eppler (born 1971) is a Swiss organizational theorist, Professor of Media and Communication management at the University of St. Gallen, and director of its Institute for Media and Communication Management, known for his contributions in the field of knowledge management, specifically information overload and Information Quality Management, and knowledge visualization.
Eppler received his Master in Management from the University of St. Gallen in 1996, and had also studied at the Boston University and the ESCP Europe. In 1998 he received his PhD in Management from the University of Geneva with the thesis, entitled "Informative Action: An Analysis of Information Overload in Management." Back at the University of St. Gallen he received his habilitation for Management, with emphasis on Information and Communication Management, in 2003.
Eppler started his academic career as lecturer and project manager at the University of Geneva in 1996, while also working as consultant for the Geneva Knowledge Group. In 1998 he moved back to the University of St. Gallen, where he was appointed Senior Lecturer and Vice Director of the Institute for Media and Communication Management. In 2003 he was appointed Professor of Information and Communication Management at the University of Lugano, and since 2009 he is Professor of Media and Communication management at the University of St. Gallen, head of the ISP MBA program, and director of its Institute for Media and Communication Management with Miriam Meckel and Vincent Kaufmann.
Eppler has been a visiting professor at Georgiatech (Atlanta, USA), Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, Canada), the Central University of Finance and Economics (CUFE) Beijing, at the Aalto University in 2010, and at the Universidad del Pacifico Graduate School in 2011 as well as Cambridge University. He is member of the Editorial Board of the reviews "OrganisationsEntwicklung," and formerly the "Journal of Universal Knowledge Management, and was member until 2009 of "Studies in Communication Sciences," and "Information & Management."
Eppler published 15 books and numerous articles in the fields of organization studies, knowledge communication, and visualization. Books:
- Eppler, Martin J., Pfister, Roland, Hoffmann, Friederike (2014).Creability.
- Eppler, Martin J., Kernbach, S., Pfister, Roland (2016). Dynagrams.
- Reinmann, G. & Eppler, M. (2008). Wissenswege. Methoden für das persönliche Wissensmanagement.
- Martin J. Eppler, Roland Pfister (2012). Sketching at work.
Articles, a selection:
- Lengler, Ralph, and Martin J. Eppler. "Towards a periodic table of visualization methods for management." IASTED Proceedings of the Conference on Graphics and Visualization in Engineering (GVE 2007), Clearwater, Florida, USA. 2007.
- Martin J. Eppler. "Making Knowledge Visible Through Intranet Knowledge Maps: Concepts, Elements, Cases," System Sciences, 2001. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on. IEEE, 2001.
- Schindler, Martin, and Martin J. Eppler. "Harvesting project knowledge: a review of project learning methods and success factors." International Journal of Project Management 21.3 (2003): 219-228.
- Eppler, Martin J., and Jeanne Mengis. "The concept of information overload: A review of literature from organization science, accounting, marketing, MIS, and related disciplines." The information society 20.5 (2004): 325-344.
- Eppler, Martin J., Patrick Seifried, and Axel Röpnack. "Improving Knowledge Intensive Processes through an Enterprise Knowledge Medium (1999)." Kommunikationsmanagement im Wandel. Gabler, 2008. 371-389.
- Martin J. Eppler at DBLP Bibliography Server