Markus Schulz (; German: [ˈmaɐ̯kʊs ˈʃʊlts]; born 3 February 1975) is a German-American DJ and music producer based in Miami, Florida. Best known for his weekly radio show titled "Global DJ Broadcast" that airs on Digitally Imported radio, After Hours FM and other online stations, Schulz is also the founder of the label Coldharbour Recordings and Schulz Music Group (SMG), an artist management company that manages rising stars in the industry including Nifra, Fisherman & Hawkins, Mr. Pit, Grube and Hovsepian and Adina Butar. In September 2012, Schulz was crowned America's Number 1 DJ by DJ Times.
In early 2013, after several spontaneous back-to-back performances, Schulz and Ferry Corsten announced they would be producing and touring together as the new EDM group New World Punx. Their debut arena show was held at Madison Square Garden.
Schulz has released six mix compilations and four artist albums under his own name. He has also released productions and albums, Thoughts Become Things and Thoughts Become Things II, under the alias Dakota. Through his work with remixing tracks, he has had the opportunity to work with such artists as: Depeche Mode, Madonna, Everything but the Girl, Jewel, OceanLab, Gabriel & Dresden, Télépopmusik, Fat Boy Slim, Miro, Book of Love, Blue Amazon, and PQM. His remixes of "Intuition" and "Stand" by Jewel both hit #1 on the Billboard club chart.
His seventh studio album, We Are The Light, is bound for release on 12 October 2018.
When not in the studio working on new mixes, Schulz maintains an extensive international touring schedule. He originally held a seven-year residency at The Works in Scottsdale, Arizona, where he developed his style. Since then, he has continued to perform at clubs all over the world including Avalon, Club Space, Green Valley, Ministry of Sound, Ruby Skye and Zouk.
He has DJ'ed at some of the largest festivals and events, including: Electric Daisy Carnival, Electric Zoo, Monster Massive, Together As One, Ultra Music Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event, Nature One, Dance Valley, Love Parade, Global Gathering, Creamfields, ETD Pop, Trance Energy 2010, Bang Music Festival, Future Music Festival, Bal en Blanc, at the Episodes 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600 and 650 (as New World Punx) of A State of Trance and at Summafieldayze on the Gold Coast in Australia. In 2013, Schulz launched a 4-plus week North American "Scream" Tour with The M Machine. A second similar North American tour was also launched in April 2014 following the release of Scream 2.
On 28 October 2010, DJ Magazine announced the results of their annual Top 100 DJ Poll, placing Schulz at #8 DJ in the world. In September 2012, Schulz was crowned America's Number 1 DJ by DJ Times. In DJ Magazine's 2013 poll, he was #21 in the ranking.
Schulz is known amongst his fans as the unicorn slayer. Many EDM artists nowadays tend to fall back on light, upbeat melodies, nicknamed "unicorn melodies", but Schulz prefers to use square waves and pitch bends. After somebody tweeted, "Markus Schulz: the unicorn slayer of trance." Schulz retweeted it and the nickname caught on.
Studio albums (as Markus Schulz)
- Without You Near (2005, Armada Music)
- Progression (2007, Armada Music)
- Do You Dream? (2010, Armada Music)
- Scream (2012, Armada Music)
- Scream 2 (2014, Armada Music)
- Watch the World (2016, Black Hole Recordings)
- We Are the Light (2018, Black Hole Recordings)
Studio albums (as Dakota)
- Thoughts Become Things (2009, Armada Music)
- Thoughts Become Things II (1 July 2011, Armada Music)
- The Nine Skies (December 2017, Coldharbour Recordings)
- Progression Progressed - The Remixes (2008, Armada Music)
- Do You Dream? - The Remixes (2011, Armada Music)
- Dakota – Thoughts Become Things II (The Remixes) (13 January 2012, Armada Music)
- Shikodachi (1999, Safari Media )
- Kamaidachi (2000, Safari Media )
- American DJ - 04 Phoenix (2001, The Right Stuff)
- Coldharbour Sessions (2004, Armada Music)
- Miami '05 (2005, Moist Music)
- Ibiza '06 (2006, Moist Music)
- Amsterdam '08 (2008, Armada Music)
- Toronto '09 (2009, Armada Music)
- Armada At Ibiza - Summer 2008
- Las Vegas '10 (2010, Armada Music)
- Prague '11 (2011, Armada Music)
- Los Angeles '12 (2012, Armada Music)
- Best of 2012: World Tour Compilation (15 December 2012)
- Buenos Aires '13 (2013, Armada Music)
- In Search of Sunrise 14 (with Gabriel & Dresden and Andy Moor) (2018, Songbird)