Marianne, Dowager Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, (born Baroness Marianne von Mayr-Melnhof; 9 December 1919) is a German photographer, and the mother of Alexander, 7th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn (born 1943).
Marianne was born on 9 December 1919 in Salzburg, the eldest daughter of Baron Friedrich von Mayr-Melnhof (1892–1956), proprietor of the Glanegg estate near Salzburg, and of Countess Maria-Anna von Meran (1897–1983), granddaughter of Franz, Count of Meran, head of a morganatic branch of the imperial Habsburg-Lorraine. The Mayr-Melnhof family were Catholic Styrians since the 15th century and, having become industrialists, were ennobled in Austria in 1859.
Marriage and children
Marianne married Ludwig, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn on 12 Mar 1942 in Glanegg, who was born in 1915 and died accidentally at Sayn in 1962. They had five children:
- Princess Yvonne (born 9 December 1942) married firstly in 1962 Alfons, Count von Coreth zu Coredo (born 1930), a photographer who served as honorary Thai consul in Salzburg (divorced 1970), and married secondly in 1976 physician Klaus Bolzano, Edler von Kronstätt (born 1936), and has issue from both marriages;
- Alexander, 7th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn (born 22 November 1943) married Countess Gabriela von Schönborn-Wiesentheid (born 16 October 1950) in 1969, and they have issue;
- Princess Elisabeth (born 1 April 1948) married bank manager Hasso, Baron Schuler von Senden (born 30 January 1943) in 1970, and they have issue;
- Princess Teresa (born 25 April 1952) married firstly in 1973 Don Luis de Figueroa y Griffith, Count of Quintanilla (born 5 February 1950) (divorced 1983), son of author Aline Griffith, Dowager Countess of Romanones, and married secondly attorney Count Karl-Erbo von Kageneck in 1983, and has issue from both marriages;
- Prince Peter (born 22 January 1954) married actress Sunnyi Melles (born 7 Oct 1958) in 1993, and they have issue.
Titles and styles
- 9 December 1919 - 12 Mar 1942: Baroness Marianne von Mayr-Melnhof
- 12 Mar 1942 - 22 September 1953: Her Serene Highness Hereditary Princess Marianne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
- 22 September 1953 - 9 January 1962: Her Serene Highness Marianne, Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
- 9 January 1962 – present: Her Serene Highness Marianne, Dowager Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
|Ancestors of Marianne, Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn|