|Birth||January 25, 1630 (Darmstadt)|
|Death||April 24, 1678 (Darmstadt)|
Louis VI of Hesse-Darmstadt (German: Ludwig) (25 January 1630 – 24 April 1678) was Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt from 1661 to 1678.
He was the eldest of three sons of the Landgrave George II of Hesse-Darmstadt and Sophia Eleonore of Saxony.
Marriage and children
Louis VI was married twice.
1. On 24 November 1650 he married Maria Elisabeth of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (1634–1665), daughter of Frederick III, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp. They had eight children:
- Magdalene Sybille (1652–1712) a renowned composer of baroque churchsongs; she married Duke William Louis of Württemberg.
- Sophie Eleonore (born and died 1653).
- George (1654–1655).
- Marie Elisabeth (1656–1715) married in 1676 Duke Henry of Saxe-Römhild.
- Auguste Magdalene (1657–1674).
- Louis (1658–1678), his successor (Louis VII).
- Frederick (1659–1676)
- Sophie Marie (1661–1712) married in 1681 Duke Christian of Saxe-Eisenberg (1653–1707).
2. On 5 December 1666 he married Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (1640–1709), daughter of Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha. They also had eight children.
- Ernst Louis (1667–1739), successor of his half-brother Louis VII who ruled for only 4 months
- Georg (1669–1705), renowned Field Marshal, killed in Barcelona
- Sophie Louise (1670–1758), married Albrecht Ernst II von Oettingen-Oettingen (1669–1731)
- Philip (1671–1736), Imperial Field Marshal and governor of Mantua, married in 1693 princess Marie Therese of Croy (1673–1714); Enrichetta Maria d'Este was their daughter
- Johann (1672–1673)
- Heinrich (1674–1741)
- Elisabeth Dorothea (1676–1721), married Frederick III Jakob of Hessen-Homburg (1673–1746)
- Friedrich (1677–1708), killed in battle
|Ancestors of Louis VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Louis VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
House of HesseBorn: 25 January 1630 Died: 24 April 1678
|Preceded by |
|Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt |
|Succeeded by |