Lene Adler Petersen (born January 1944 in Aarhus, DK) is a Danish artist. Her artistic practice is characterized through a continuous collecting, sorting and mixing process of media and techniques and includes happenings and performance art as well as painting, ceramics, drawings, printmaking and installations, film and photography.
Lene Adler Petersen was educated at Det Jyske Kunstakademi 1964-66 and The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts 1968-69. Adler Petersen stems from a generation of Danish artists who came to visibility in the 1960s through performance art, installation art and film.
Lene Adler Petersen´s interest in collecting and sorting play a crucial role in her diverse artistic expressions. Her political conceptual work is characterized by an investigation into the contemporary representations of women. Lene Adler Pedersens early work "Uddrivelsen fra templet, nøgen kvindelig Kristus, d. 29. maj, kl. 15.50, 1969, Børsen" is a performance made together with artist Bjørn Nørgaard. In the performance she walked naked with a cross through the Copenhagen Stock Exchange.
By the time she completed her study of visual arts at the Royal Danish Academy, she was already part of the experimental art scene in Copenhagen formed around Eks-skolen. During that period she worked primarily as filmmaker, painter and a collage artist besides engaging and contributing to the collaborative work in the Danish art community. Throughout her life Lene Adler Petersen has been involved in several artist groups as ABCinema, Eks-skolens trykkeri, Tidskriftet Kvinder and Arme and Ben. She has been a member of the Danish artists association Kammeraterne since 1995.
Since the 1960s Adler Petersen has created a rich collection of drawings. She has significantly influenced a generation of younger Danish artists by making way for the making of conceptual and feminist art in Scandinavia. Her interests in creativity, the role of subjectivity and personal history form a unique artistic position that challenges conventional paradigmas of gender, female representation and artistic production.
Lene Adler Pedersen is married to the artist Bjørn Nørgaard.
- 1967-71 "Dagsbogsfilm I-V og Arkivfilm". 8mm film in collaboration with Bjørn Nørgaard.
- 1969. "Uddrivelsen fra templet, nøgen kvindelig Kristus, d. 29. maj, kl. 15.50, 1969, Børsen". Happening in collaboration with Bjørn Nørgaard.
- 1972 "3 piger og en Gris". 16mm film in collaboration with Ursula Reuter Christiansen, Elisabeth Therkildsen and Per Kirkeby.
- 1974 "Udklip på papir med Kvindetegnet". 484 cut-outs on paper and collage.
- 1974 "Dagbog fra mørkekammeret på Eks-skolens Trykkeri". Photography.
- 1977 "Tag en sten op". 1200 drawings.
- 1983 "Portrættet af Rita fra Aarhus". Collage and spray. Serial work in the periode 1976 -1983.
Art and architecture
- 1983 “Vilvorde dansk sygeplejerråds kursus center”. Ceramics and painting.
- 1984 Tørring &Wulf Tobak A/S Glostrup. Painting.
- 1986 “Urhavet” Københavns Amstsygehus i Herlev. Bassinrum, fysiologisk samling. Painted porcelain tiles.
- 1987 Aarhus Færgeterminal. Asfalt gulv.
- 1989 “TABULA ROSA” TDC Teglholmsgade. Monochromes.
- 1990 “Farvesætning” Avedøre kraftværk, Hammerholmen Hvidovre
- 1991 “Mit Javakort” Niende retssal. Østre Landsret, Bredgade, København.
- 2006 “Karen Blixen Relief” Burned and glazed clay
- 2013 “Sommerfugledalen, Painting for Inger Christensen’s poem “Sommmerfugledalen”. Holsterbro Gymnasium.
Artist books and publications (In selection)
- 1975 Billedlotteri
- 1977 Tag En Sten Op
- 1980 Ting, nogle parforhold
- 1982 Motivet
- 1983 Fire Parader
- 1992 To Områder
- 2003 Et håndklæde
- 2010 Kvindetegnet
Solo exhibitions (In selection)
- 1979 “Et sandt Virvar”. Galleri Sankt Petri, Lund, Schweden.
- 1975 “Billeder til et Lotteri”. Tranegården, Gentofte.
- 1980 “Portræt af Rita fra Århus”. Kunsten, Aalborg.
- 1983 “Fold Glorien. Puds Hænderne”. The Royal Collection of Graphic Art. National Gallery of Denmark (SMK).
- 2008 “Den skjulte Skat”. Billeder, objekter, video. Kunsthal 44 Møen.
- 2010 “Kvindetegnet, udklip på papir med Kvindetegnet”. National Gallery of Denmark (SMK).
- Statens Museum for Kunst Kobberstiksamlingen
- ARoS Aarhus Kunstmuseum
- Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
- KUNSTEN Museum of Modern Art Aalborg Randers Kunstmuseum
- Horsens Kunstmuseum
- Silkeborg Kunstmuseum
- Esbjerg Kunstmuseum
- Vejle Kunstmuseum
- Skive Kunstmuseum
- Fyns Kunstmuseum
- Kunstmuseet Køge Skitsesamling
- Designmuseum Danmark